Build 6. Sapele/Engelmann 00-14

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Build 6. Sapele/Engelmann 00-14

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Your build looks great! You've come a long way.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

This home made go deck works fine. Cut fiberglass snow marker poles as needed. I move the top up and down as needed for braces or the box. I raise and lower the top for each operation. Perhaps longer poles into the ceiling would be easier. It is easy but tedious to setup and you can see I forgot to tighten a bolt. Once dry fit looks good I mark the poles and shims, and repeat.

Rigid top is the key and you can see I stacked plywood but it still bows a bit. The poles make a very snug clamp but it did take a few guitars to learn to keep them in place.

John's halo set solved my issue of braces drifting around. Dry fit is easier than gluing because the glue makes things slide around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

I guess this would be a milestone. Build is flying along. Lockdown has its payoffs. Is it still 2020?

Finally added a label and brand to my builds. Pretty much followed the excellent how-to on stewmac to make the label.

Notes: Laser printer, not ink jet. hhg works. I didn't stain the letterhead paper but I did put wash coat shellac on it. I made the label with MS Word with some fonts I had purchased for the project.

Ps. Have permission to post new owner's name here which you can see I added to both the block and the label. One thing for sure, every owner of my builds was just thrilled to see their initials in the model number and now names on the label. I think it is one of their favorite parts of having a custom guitar.

ps..oops. forgot the soundhole braces. haha. back to the bench.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jread on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Looks great John. Keep up the good work.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

I'm a bit thrilled and annoyed at the same time so wanted some opinions. After just 3 wash coats on my new build, I step back and honestly, can't see any difference between it and our Martin w/ satin finish.

Side by side.

My build sanded to 220. 3 wash coats. No fill.
Our Martin 00L-17 with satin finish. No fill.

I had not considered this finish before. If I were to want this finish, I think I would want to build up some more anyway, then buff off the shine? Seems like a bad idea to stop here.
jread

Post by jread »

My back and back strip went on a bit askew due to simply gluing on the back crooked in the form. The 1st one (in rosewood) was joined in between the plates but as you can see, was just too crooked and I could not let it that stay.

I remembered a video from John Hall where he inlayed a back strip on a completed box "just because he could" I think he said. I decided to try inlaying a wider strip to see if I could mask out the issue. Turned out reasonably well. The neck is not glued on yet so there is more potential of lining up the heel by carving it a bit more.

I'd say one of the main things you all have taught me is that no matter how bad mistakes seem, there always seems to be a way to correct it. I've seen you guys work magic. This was just a novice trick but I like the spirit of reworking things to make them better. It's something I think all of us beginners learn the hard way. We freak out when there is a small error in our perfect plans. But just watch these masters and they can make piles of splinters sing again. Literally.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Wow - everything's looking great!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
jread

Post by jread »

Had to include a shot of my new dovetail clamp I'm action.
It is gives me a free hand to slowly and steadily sinch down the neck during fitting. A game changer for me.

Ps. I'm making 10 more clamps to sell so PM if interested in trying it out .
jread

Post by jread »

Getting close. I got my custom JRG logo inlays (John Read Guitar) from Depaule Supply and also the Fluer-de-lis. Boy do they know how to cut pearl!

This one will get a pick guard to cover the mistakes in the outer ring. I must have not inserted it into the slot deep enough when gluing up and it sanded away. The top wasn't sanded away.

Just need to clean up the french polish and it should be good to go. After 3 tries, I got the frets leveled and setup dialed in with no buzzing. If I can find a way to keep the finish nice while putting on the bridge and doing fret work things would be a lot better.

This is my 1st commission build and I got a nice price for her. Still only selling to friends as these are far from where I think they should be but they are happy, I'm happy, everyone's happy. Don't need pesky strangers poking around my builds yet.
jrg.jpg
nola.jpg
nola2.jpg
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Good looking build, nice work on the corrections, guess we all hope to have to not make corrections. I've yet to build one that didn't have a few corrections, getting better at it but not where I'd like to be.

I like looking at others builds and have great respect for all and in awe of some of them. Sometimes this gets one down wondering if they will ever be able to do like work, but the feeling passes (hopefully) and one solders on.