Bindng Question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Bindng Question

Post by scamp »

For my current guitar build I purchased ebony wood bindings from Stew Mac and added a aqua and black stripe trim. The finished dimensions of the binding are 0.08 inch thick and 0.29 inch tall ( 0.25 inch ebony + 0.02 inch aqua + 0.02 inch black ). The purfling I will use on the top with this binding is a black, aqua, black with a thickness of 0.06 and a height of 0.1 inch.

I need to pick a set of router bearing to rout the appropriate binding channel depth. The obvious answer it seems would be a router with a cut depth of 0.08 inches for the purfling and 0.14 inch for the purfling.

My concern is the sides of the guitar are only about 0.08 inches which would mean I would be routing right down to the kerfing and an additional 0.06 inches into the top for the purfling. I am using reversed kerfed linings which are 7/32 by 5/8 inch. So... the top would be held on to the sides with 7/32 minus 0.06 inch or about 0.158 inch of kerfing glued to the top and about 5/8 plus the thickness of the top ( about 0.11 inches) minus the height of the binding ( 0.29 inches ) or about 0.435 inches to the sides.

So... My question is... is this OK?

If not.. Any suggestions.

I could try and thin down the purfling to 0.06 inches instead of 0.08 which might help alittle?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Scamp
tippie53

Re: Bindng Question

Post by tippie53 »

I would thin the binding to .065 first, The purfling should only be about .060 to .080 high so you shouldn;t go through the top
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
scamp

Post by scamp »

Thanks John. Exactly the feedback I was looking for. !!
scamp

Post by scamp »

I thinned my bindings down to 0.065 inches and will use a 0.06 inch depth router bit for the bindings.

One more question for you John.
The bindings I made are actually about 0.3 inches tall ( I measured them).
I noticed that most bindings you can purchase are about 0.25 inches tall.

My question is...
Is 0.3 inch tall bindings too tall and should I shorten them down to 0.25 inches.
Again.. the concern is that I won't leave enough support for the top and back.
The top and back are about 0.1 inch thick and the reverse kerfing I'm using is 7/32" x 5/8" x 16"

Scamp
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I like my binding about .220 high I use scrap and thickness them in the sander take about .010 at a time
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
scamp

Post by scamp »

tippie53 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:09 pm I like my binding about .220 high I use scrap and thickness them in the sander take about .010 at a time
Thanks as always.

Just curious. Is there a generally accepted maximum height for the bindings on acoustic guitasrs? Seems like at some point you are going to cause structural issues as you get close to the height of the top/bottom plus kerfing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

About 1/4" tall is pretty standard. If using side purfling include that as part of your .250".
Install it a bit proud of the top like .010 so you can level it down with the top after the install. I go about .260 total height and install it this way. No issue with the structure you are just going into the kerfing a bit and if your binding is only .065" thick, if your sides are thicker then that you won't even be into the kerfing, right?

Sounds like you will be fine. I think the quarter inch tall looks the best on a OM or a Dred.
scamp

Post by scamp »

Makes sense. I think .25 inches will look good and not degrade the top structural integrity. My bindings are 0.065 thick so I will use a 0.06 router depth on the sides that are 0.075 thick so they shouldn’t go through the sides into the kerfling. Should work well. Thanks.