Cocobolo

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Cocobolo

Post by scamp »

I'm thinking of building a guitar using Cocobolo
Just love the look and sound of it.

That said, I have heard a lot of negatives associated with working with this type of wood from some people.
Allergic reactions ( which I believe can be issues with all rosewoods but it seems Cocobolo is particularly bad)
Hard to reliably glue using standard glues.
Oil from wood can cause finishing problems.
Etc.

Then there are others who say these concerns are overblown.

Just wondering if anyone out there who has actually built a guitar using Cocobolo has any feedback/suggestions on how best to work with this wood and if it is indeed problematic.
Trying to decide if working with it makes and sense or if I should just stick with a more standard rosewood.

Thanks
rcnewcomb

Re: Cocobolo

Post by rcnewcomb »

I've used it on non-guitar projects. I get along fine with it, but I worked with a guy who was extremely allergic to it. Example: Jeans he wore while woking with cocobolo could still cause him to break out in hives even after they had been washed.

My suggestion would be to get a headplate of cocobolo, with a good face mask take it outside and sand it and handle it. If you start to break out in hives then that tells you what you need to know.

Kathy Wingert builds with it and has had allergy issues, but has found a way to control it. From her web site:

Cocobolo
Cocobolo -- Dalbergia retusa -- is a very heavy rosewood, which lends a gorgeous alto richness to the voice of my guitars. I have been told my results are different from other builders, and that's okay with me. What I experience from it is a warm, lush bass with great sustain, and a rich alto presence with a slight edge to the sweetness of the trebles which allows for effective counterpoint and the feeling of endless sustain. Hint: I let it be heavy and do not thin it just because I could.

Cocobolo is listed on my standard choices page as well, but it is included here because there are many variations in appearance, and some are just special. I have had trouble with allergic reaction to cocobolo, as many builders have, but I seem to have gotten it under control. Care in working with it adds to work time, so I may have to move all cocobolo back to the options page one day, but for now it's fine.

Cocobolo is one of the most gorgeous woods in the world, and the sets that I offer as a standard feature are very limited in supply. You will find their exact match on the special woods page. As one of the vulnerable woods in need of protection, I do not believe I will be able to find replacements that are as fine as what I now own. These pieces are among the most attractive straight-grained pieces you will find anywhere.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I made my #3 guitar, a Dred using Cocobolo. I too had heard that it was an oiliy wood and one could have some gluing issues. The suggestion was to wipe gluing surfaces with acetone right before gluing and just use Titebond. ( I believe I was using LMI white glue at the time. Same type of glue).

I had no issues. Only gluing is neck and end blocks and binding channels. I had no problems.
Finishing? I sprayed nitro lacquer, using a sanding sealer first and had no problems.
That guitar was made 13 years ago and has lived its life in hot and humid India and has held up fine. No failed joints and no failed finish.

So my experience was good. I paid $118 for the nicely figured set from LMI at the Healdsburg guitar festival in 2009. I see sets are now at least 3 times that much.

It is beautiful under a finish. I say go for it.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I found these back in the archives.

The Cocobolo Dread. Bearclaw spruce top. Curly maple binding, ebony fretboard and coco bridge, headplate and pick guard. Abalone rosette.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.