Rocklite Ebano

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Rocklite Ebano

Post by scamp »

Trying to pick binding material for my next guitar. I really like the look of black bindings with lighter purfling. I have been investigating what to use for the binding material. Seems like good black ebony binding material is hard to come by and work with. Upon further investigation I found some very beautiful guitars made by various luthiers that use Rocklite Ebano as an alternative. I was wondering if anyone had experience using this stuff and it you would recommend it ( or alternatives ). Also, where is the best place to buy it ( seems like it's only available in the UK ).

Thanks
Stray Feathers

Re: Rocklite Ebano

Post by Stray Feathers »

I used it on one guitar and it bent okay and looks good. But I found that the sanding and scraping dust soiled lighter woods like spruce quite a lot, even though I had some sanding sealer on the lighter wood. I can't say, though, that ebano is worse for this than real ebony. So if you use it, make sure you seal any lighter wood. And it is available in Canada from at least one supplier, Bow River Woods in (greater) Vancouver. Bruce W.
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

You can check with Luthiers Mercantile International.

They have SKU: WBRSLM1, Binding, Rocklite Sundari w/Maple .030" lam
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
scamp

Post by scamp »

Thanks. I looked at LMI and Bow River and can only find the Sundari ( which is a rosewood type ) and not the Ebano ( which is the ebony type ). I’ll keep looking.

Scamp
scamp

Post by scamp »

Update! Contacted LMI and was informed that the company that makes Rocklite is no longer in business. Some companies are selling what’s left of their stock. That’s why you can get the Sundari and not the Ebano. Ebano must have been more popular and sold out first.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Thanks for the update. I can stop looking. I've used the 'ebano' and it seemed very nice. Sigh.
peter havriluk