Why choose a 12 vs 14 fret neck (or 14 vs 12)

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
MaineGeezer

Why choose a 12 vs 14 fret neck (or 14 vs 12)

Post by MaineGeezer »

As I contemplate what I might do for my next guitar, I'm thinking about 12 vs 14 fret necks and realizing I don't really know why one would choose one or the other. Can somebody enlighten me?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Skarsaune

Re: Why choose a 12 vs 14 fret neck (or 14 vs 12)

Post by Skarsaune »

If you keep the body profile the same, 12 fret will position the bridge differently on the soundboard than a 14 fret.
With the bridge being where string energy gets applied to the top, this can have an effect on sound/tone/volume.

If you change the body profile, you get an early martin 12 fret dread vs a later one. Bridge position relative to the sound board didn't change, the front edge of the body was moved inwards on the 14 fret.

Also, 12 fret can decrease the reach for the fretting hand. Can help with ergonomics.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

My first two were OM/000 bodies from plans in Jonathan Kinkead's book, but with the soundhole and bracing moved further into the lower bout, for reasons Skarsaune explained (and with help from this forum). I also wanted, with smaller hands and less strength, the ergonomic benefits he mentions. I really like the format for playability (except when you capo up 4 or 5 frets). My only regret is that I also used 24.9" scale on them (to reduce the reach a tiny bit more). What I did not realize is that strings are looser on a shorter scale, and I was unintentionally bending more notes (poor technique maybe). I think Diane K. mentioned it on here, but I missed it; a local guitar tech told me to use medium gauge strings to resolve that, so I do, but I would prefer lights. I am saving nice wood to make another 12-fret for myself and will use a 25.4" scale. I've also made bodies a little deeper than an OM to add some volume to the smaller body; other builders here have talked about this too. Bruce W.
jread

Post by jread »

I don't have too much hands experience with 12 frets other than my 1st build, a 12 fret dred. It's one of my best sounding builds. I picked mine because of Norman Blake's picking on his 12 fret dreds. His playing on his 12 fret D18 is the center the tone universe for me. He could make any guitar sound great I'm sure but you know what I mean.

I think the tone is one reason players want them. Feel is another. Martin styles are vintage-y with the upper bout being 2 frets bigger and almost always the slotted headstock. They look really cool! The bigger body when doing it like Martin adds more volume (cubic inches) inside the guitar which we all know has a big impact on tone. I can capo mine all the way up to 9 for fun and still play a decent set of chords with ease. It's silly to play up there on a 12 fret but it works. I capo at 7 a lot. I'm not a master player so losing reach to the upper frets aren't an issue for me at all.

Listen to comparisons online with headphones or good monitors and you start to get a feel for the tonal differences. Here's one from Larrivee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xO4Jbz3UfA I've heard a lot of people say that listening online isn't helpful but I feel that youtube is filled with excellent guitar demos that give an accurate feel for the tonal differences. There are body size compares, wood choices, scale length, string guage compares, etc. on otherwise very similar guitars and played side by side so you can compare.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Why build one over another: personal choice. As several have noted, if you choose to make a 12 fret, the bridge will move down the body.

I made my second build (aka. Delilah) a short scale 12-fret. Although i frequently play the frets above 12, I've no problem reaching them. This is the one guitar that I will not sell, and I've had good offers for her. She has a great voice and incredible projection. I don't know how much this is due to the 12-fret configuration. She's basically a typical 00 size body, with a modification in the upper bout, to correct a routing problem.

You can see how the bridge is moved down. I didn't move the soundhole.
PicsArt_12-03-09.25.41.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I like the shorter reach to the 'cowboy chord' frets and the location of the bridge deeper into the lower bout on a neck attached at the 12th fret. The ergonomics suit me nicely. And it sounds nice. Making a second one, as a bracing experiment and to build in an armrest bevel.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:34 am I like the shorter reach to the 'cowboy chord' frets and the location of the bridge deeper into the lower bout on a neck attached at the 12th fret. The ergonomics suit me nicely. And it sounds nice. Making a second one, as a bracing experiment and to build in an armrest bevel.
I want to install an armrest as well.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com