Help, committed the stupidest mistake

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
koolimy

Help, committed the stupidest mistake

Post by koolimy »

Hi, I made the stupidest mistake with my kit guitar a few days ago after my cat peed on it. I usually use vinegar to get out the smell whenever my cat has an accident, so as usual after wiping my guitar down with disinfectant wipes I sprayed it with vinegar. I was very stupid, as I learned that vinegar is bad for a guitar and especially bad for glue. I tried to dry the guitar off soon after spraying it, but the finish felt very rough and patchy after being doused in vinegar.

I couldn't tell if there was additional damage yet, but I did wipe off some glue like substance from around the bridge. Thankfully the bridge hasn't flown off.

Do you think I will be in the clear as to the glue joints, or should I maybe take off the bridge and reglue it? I will have to refinish the guitar but I used tru-oil so refinishing should not be a problem.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
phavriluk

Re: Help, committed the stupidest mistake

Post by phavriluk »

Regrets. Our furry friends sometimes shock us. As OP found out, pets and guitars may not coexist well. I encourage keeping the guitar in its case except while playing it (this one does have a case, no?).
peter havriluk
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I would imagine that if you didn't leave the vinegar on there very long, like a few seconds, it probably didn't have enough time to get very far.....as in under your bridge. Just guessing of course, but its probably okay.
If it ever starts to lift, well then you will know you have to repair it, but until, I'd say just leave it. You can redo your TruOil finish around the bridge anyway, correct?

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

vinegar is acidic and since the PH of that is opposite glue it will break glues bond.
I use white vinegar to break down stubborn glue joints. You should be able to reglue but you will have to
neutralize the vinegar. Baking soda will do that. then use clear water to clean that up
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

phavriluk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:07 pm Regrets. Our furry friends sometimes shock us. As OP found out, pets and guitars may not coexist well. I encourage keeping the guitar in its case except while playing it (this one does have a case, no?).
Unfortunately I don't have a case for this guitar... I tried to find one but the one music store in my small town does not have case that fits a small jumbo size guitar. I have tried looking online but I am a bit apprehensive because it seems like a relatively unpopular shape and I don't know if the commercially available cases will fit my guitar (J-185 w/ long scale).
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:19 pm I would imagine that if you didn't leave the vinegar on there very long, like a few seconds, it probably didn't have enough time to get very far.....as in under your bridge. Just guessing of course, but its probably okay.
If it ever starts to lift, well then you will know you have to repair it, but until, I'd say just leave it. You can redo your TruOil finish around the bridge anyway, correct?

Kevin
Thanks for your reply. I guess I will wait and see if there is any movement in the bridge or any other joint. TruOil is very easy to apply so yes, I can redo the finish pretty easily around the bridge.
tippie53 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:35 pm vinegar is acidic and since the PH of that is opposite glue it will break glues bond.
I use white vinegar to break down stubborn glue joints. You should be able to reglue but you will have to
neutralize the vinegar. Baking soda will do that. then use clear water to clean that up
I noticed that vinegar broke down some glue that was maybe squeezed out from under the bridge, so I can definitely see its power. Hopefully nothing happened in the short time it was exposed to the vinegar but if it was thanks for the tip regarding baking soda and water.