CA Glue on Fingerboard

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
John Reid

CA Glue on Fingerboard

Post by John Reid »

Could use some guidance. After installing the frets on the fingerboard, I filled the gaps on the ends below the tang with ebony dust and CA glue. That seemed to go well, but then I saw the CA glue had wicked its way on to the top as shown in the picture.

Any tips as to the best way I can clean this up?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: CA Glue on Fingerboard

Post by tippie53 »

light file
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I use a single edge razor blade as a scraper and scrape between and up to the frets. Seems to work good for me. I also do this after leveling, crowning and polishing the frets as a final cleanup before a coat of Howard's Feed and Wax.
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Ok, I’ve been messing around some more. I was too afraid to try a file figuring I’d make things worse, but I did try the razor blade idea. That helped get a lot of the CA off the fingerboard. I did end up with marks from that so I got the idea of wrapping some 400 grit sandpaper around the razor blade, which allowed me to sand more tightly against the frets. I think it looks better, and I’ll leave more sanding for later. But I feel like I’m back on track.

Thanks for the help!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.