Pre-slotted nuts?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Pre-slotted nuts?

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Andy
Are those bridge clamps aluminum?
Ed M
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

Please Ignore, somehow I created a duplicate post... read the next one.
Last edited by Andy Mitchell on Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

Andy Mitchell wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:07 pm
ruby@magpage.com wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 pm Andy
Are those bridge clamps aluminum?

Nope, they're super-cheapies sold through a place called Princess Auto up here in Canada (a chain very similar to your Harbour Freight, they seem to carry almost the same stuff).

Made of steel, and cost about $15 Canadian (so $10 American?) a piece. Work just fine though!

Andy
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

So I strung it up today for the first time... how does this string spacing look to the experts? Both the nut and saddle are just sitting in pace unglued, as I know multiple adjustments (truss rod, nut and saddle) will be required once things deform to their somewhat permanent shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

And BTW, is it just me, or do others of you get a little sad as you near the end of projects like this? I had a great time working through al the stages of building this (and yeah, I know I still have a bit to go, but hopefully you get what I mean). I haven't even played it yet, and I'm already wanting to do another!

(PS - it's a through saddle, which is why it looks so wide in 'untrimmed' form, and the nut is the 1-13/16' model shipped with the kit, just plunked in top of the 1-3/4" neck for now...)
ruby@magpage.com

You probably know that the nut is too long on both ends - it should be flush with the neck/fretboard/head. Otherwise looks good.

Yes I feel a little sad when a project is over, but it an opportunity to pursue the next visiom
Ed M
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

My first reaction to the nut photo is that the bass E string is very close to the edge of the fretboard.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Second opinion on that E spacing is that it is very close to correct and if you moved the whole nut down a hair to reduce the e spacing a touch, then cut off the ends you would be good to go. Some prefer that the E has a bit more space than the e and some prefer that the e has bit more than the E, then there are those of us that can't tell the difference. Free advice is worth what you paid for it
Ed M
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

More of that free advice, and worse, based on less experience - to my eye, the space between the low E and the A looked a little large, but I enlarged the image enough to place a fret spacing rule over it (admittedly an imprecise exercise) and it looks bang on. I agree with Ed M. that the nut should be moved toward the treble end a little. However, the alignment of your strings with the fretboard edge looks pretty much perfect, so I don't know if moving the nut will affect that negatively. I also agree that there is a bit of a letdown at the end of a project, but agree again with Ed that it is a good reason to begin another. This is how piles of wood get started . . . Bruce W.
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice/comments! I think you are all correct, and the nut should be shifted over just a smidge towards the treble side.

I strung it up like this thinking I'd be able to experiment with the final placing of the nut until I found the position that worked best for me. But the string spacing is wider than I am used to, making my initial impressions on that score (all gathered using a capo at the 2nd fret to bring the string height down to something reasonable) probably not all that useful. But it does sound good, so I'm pleased with that for sure!