Not sure about drilling for truss rod access

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Red Dogg

Not sure about drilling for truss rod access

Post by Red Dogg »

On a StewMac OM kit...

I'm ready to glue on top and back but the instructions do not even mention drilling the shoulder (transverse?) brace for access to the truss rod. Since I can't dry fit the neck yet, I'm not sure where exactly to drill for allen wrench access. The neck block came pre-drilled for a rod, but I'm not comfortable assuming that hole will line up with the truss adjuster on the "hot rod" style. At least I'd be able to re-drill or enlarge the neck block hole after the box is together. Drilling the brace in an assembled box is a bit of a problem since I don't want to destroy the integrity of the brace.

If I don't drill the brace, would I still be able to access the rod if needed?

I've emailed SM about this, but no answer after several days. Any advice?

TOM
tippie53

Re: Not sure about drilling for truss rod access

Post by tippie53 »

drill it
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You should drill a hole in the center of the transverse brace, but lower, toward the top. I use a 5/16" bit.
Screenshot_20210125-204046_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

What I did was lay my truss rod on the inside of the top pushed against the brace and drew a pencil line around it. Be sure to check that the truss rod wrench goes into the rod before gluing the neck. I had this issue on my last build where i needed to make the slot in the neck block just a little deeper so the key would easily go into the rod.