Top maybe too thin

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jread

Re: Top maybe too thin

Post by jread »

I just can't help by see myself in the OP's question, let alone his name! Two John Re*d's on the forum. Fun! I had the same questions almost exactly one year ago when I hand planed 5 builds all at once. They were all Engelmann tops and some were too thin just for the same reasons. None have cracked or had any top issues. I did manage to get one of my sides way too thin at the waist and it did produce a crack which repaired fine. Luckily it was the one build we kept so it didn't have to come back.

I've since switched to an old Woodmaster 12" thickness sander I found used in the neighborhood. I sanded the top/back plates to final thickness before joining. It was certainly easier than hand planing but the top and back didn't appear any different to the hand planed ones once complete. The sides are where the sander really made the difference in looks. My hand planed, hand bent sides were OK but this new build with the blues creek bender and thickness sander is more crisp and clean on the sides and I feel will be a better build when done.