using go bars for neck and tail block glue up! Clamp time?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Mark Scrivener

using go bars for neck and tail block glue up! Clamp time?

Post by Mark Scrivener »

I'm sure all the cool kids thought of this ages ago, but as a newbie builder it occurred to me I could use shorter go-bar rods to help clamp the neck and tail blocks during glue up. Here I have the mold elevated so I can get some extra clamps on the edge, top side of guitar is facing up, string is to check centerline...

so do I really need to let this sit for 12 hours if I'm using fish glue?
tippie53

Re: using go bars for neck and tail block glue up! Clamp tim

Post by tippie53 »

yes overnight is fine but what is the side like on the block the gobars are not doing anything it is the side to the block so the sides are thinner and they need the clamp pressure more than the block
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Mark Scrivener

Re: using go bars for neck and tail block glue up! Clamp tim

Post by Mark Scrivener »

Hi John,

Yes, the gobars are just pressing against the mold, squeezing the block to the sides in those areas. Where the sides extend above/below the mold I have clamps in place to squeeze the sides firmly against the block and insure a good joint. The gobars seem to help in two ways:

1. It was a quick and easy way to hold the block in place while I positioned clamps and cauls.
2. It applies pressure to the center of the block - an area I could not clamp without removing the body from the mold. I realize your videos show taking the body out of the mold for this step, but after rehearsing it and thinking about it, this seemed easier.

Cheers,
Mark