Acoustic guitar kit recommendation

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
koolimy

Re: Acoustic guitar kit recommendation

Post by koolimy »

jread wrote:I am a bit late but I like this thread and am going to add a few thoughts on the OP's question when starting out. What size? I don't want to be TLDR but so my short opinion like others above is that if we are focusing Martin body types, then it seems to me that the OM or 000 is what fits your original profile. Just scour youtube and reverb and you will get a feel for the one that suits you and drives you to build it. And around these parts, the experts are adding a little depth to OM's. That sounds interesting! I just completed an all mahogany 0 body size with scalloped braces and boy howdy is it loud and rings like a bell. It is much different than my 12-fret mahog dred kit which was my 1st. Totally different but I don't think volume is what I would say is it. Rounder, less snappy bass tones filling the room from the dred but not louder.

Here's something you may realize as a noob as I didn't. Youtube video demos are actually quite good to demonstrating the tonal qualities of things like this. So may comparison videos showing mahog vs. rosewood or body sizes, torrefied vs new. Here's the thing, I didn't realize how much MY guitars would sound like theirs. I am thrilled and driven to build more because my 12 fret dred sounds just like I wanted it to after listening to Norman Blake for hours while building it. Same with my 0-15 copy. Darn if it doesn't sound just like an 0-15. lol. why am i surprised? Idk, but I'm happy with them. So find the type of guitar that calls to you. If you build it, it has a good chance of finding a similar sound or at least I got 2 for 2 lucky so far.
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I already decided to go with the J-185 style body with a Martin 25.4 long scale. I mostly made my decision based on aesthetics, as to me the J-185 shape is one of the most beautiful guitar shapes out there. Maybe in the future I could go with a deep body OM? It is a close second in terms of looks.

I have been listening to a lot of youtube videos because I didn't have much of a grasp of acoustic guitar types and shapes, so I wanted to know how the different guitars sounded. It is interesting that you can get similar to the sounds in the videos! Of course, the specs on my guitar are quite different from the normal J-185, so I don't really have a reference point, outside of maybe the J-200 jr and maybe boutique guitars like the Huss & Dalton MJ and John Walker Ruby.

I'm not really under any illusion that I will get something sounding anything as good as those boutique guitars. I just hope that the guitar doesn't end up as expensive firewood!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

follow the brace layout and take your time you can get a good sounding guitar
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

That Gibson shape - the 185 - is the same shape they used in the pre-1929 L-0, the 165, the 185, the 200, the Les Paul, and it all started with the early carved arch tops. They like that shape, and so do I.
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the J 200 was larger than the J185
the older guitars will show some variation between the same guitar . The J200 was sold in 2 different widths
the larger J200 ( 17 in )
so you have to be careful with gibson , they would change a size but keep the nomenclature

L 20 1/2 in long the J 185 is 20 in
W 17 in the J 185 is 16
upper bout 12 1/2 J185 11 1/4
waist 10 3/8 J185 9 1/4

You are right in that some of the same shapes were used for different models between the arch and flat top
Gibson shape is a pleasing shape with that rounder lower end.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

you wrote:
koolimy wrote: I just hope that the guitar doesn't end up as expensive firewood!
I hope and expect you will as surprised as I was. Everyone tells you it will sound great but it still surprised the heck out me when it did so much.

I'll be watching this build. I should have read down to the bottom before replying but glad I did.
ruby@magpage.com

John

Yes they are different sizes, but the shape is the same. They all share that big round lower bout and a tight waist. Here are a few, from 12-1/2" across to 17" across. Click left and right, text below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 492974613/

Ed
Ed M
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

I can see maybe why I was drawn to this shape. I play electric guitar and always thought that the Les Paul and the Gibson and Gretsch hollowbodies looked quite beautiful (Ironically, my guitars are a Stratocaster and a Telecaster LOL). There definitely seems to be a thread running through the Gibson models, and I like it!

Thanks for the encouragement, I will update once I get the kit and begin building.
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Hi, I just received the invoice from Mr. Hall and the kit should be coming in the next few weeks. Here are the final specs:

J 185 kit
cherry back and sides
red spruce top
Martin style pick guard
rosewood fret board ( dots ) - already installed by Mr. Hall
Gibson style mahogany bolt on neck w/ Ebony headstock and gold tuners (holes already drilled!)
standard braces - non scalloped, as I wanted to do the scalloping myself
tortoise binding
tortoise and ivoroid purfling
1 3/4 nut and 2 1/4 spacing
top radius: Flat, but Mr. Hall already put in a 1.5 degree angle for neck
back radius: 15 ft

I also ordered the mold and spreader, along w/ the dish and 2 pcs of sandpaper.

We originally decided on a cherry neck to match the cherry body, but apparently this did not work out, so Mr. Hall is providing me with the mahogany neck. I am totally fine with this change, as I heard that Mahogany is the go to wood for necks due to its stability.

I want to thank Mr. Hall for providing me with some unexpected upgrades for not much more money (red spruce(!!!) and gold tuners, neck inlays already installed, holes already drilled in the headstock, neck angle already built into body, brace outlines already drawn on top, tortoise binding and ivoroid purfling).

Hopefully it arrives safe and sound! I am pretty excited to start my guitar building journey.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I can't understand how an accurate neck angle can be established before a rim is constructed and the soundboard/neck relationship is tested and adjusted. But I've often been surprised.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Peter - you want to get it close enough that the final adjustments are easy

Kool - you will have fun with this one. Stanley made their wooden levels out of cherry in the 20's-50's and stamped on the side was "best wood for the purpose" or something similar. Cherry is a stable wood. You will build more of these and have a chance to use all the woods. I have used Mahogany, Oak, Alaskan Yellow Cedar, Ash, Maple. and Osage Orange for necks successfully.

Good luck

Ed
Ed M