Wet Sanding Procedure

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
IRISHPICKER

Wet Sanding Procedure

Post by IRISHPICKER »

At long last I am finally done with the lacquer and am turning my attention to finalizing the finish. The next step is wet sanding the guitar. I am using the Stewart MacDonald kit so I have the correct sandpaper but I am not exactly clear on how to proceed. Can I go through the various grits in one sitting or do I have to let it dry in between grits and how much time should I wait before moving on to the finer grits?

As always I appreciate all the information available on the site.

Regards,
Pat
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Wet Sanding Procedure

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

There are different ways of doing it. This is how I do it. I fill a container with about 3-4 cups of water, and add one to two drops of dish detergent (for lubrication). Start with the lowest grit (roughest paper), and put it into the water. Allow it to soak for a few minutes.

Always sand with a something firm under the paper, never your hand. You can use a block of wood, a sanding block, pretty much anything that will evenly apply the paper. I use one of those sanding sponges from Home Depot, cut to size. Sand until your lacquer is level. Wet the paper as needed, to keep it lubricated.

At this point you will want to switch papers to the next grit. Before doing so, it's imperative that you clean your guitar of all sanding residue from the previous grit, and that you change your water. Remember to add the drop(s) of dish detergent.

Continue as above, going through each grit.

You can go through all of the grits in one sitting, or do some sanding, clean the guitar, and continue later. If you split it up, keep track of which grit you're on.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

This might be so obvious that I'm gonna look silly for mentioning it, but...be sure to use 'wet-or-dry' sandpaper.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

One thing to add
I use sanding blocks that I make using pipe foam insulation. Easy cheap and made to fit the application
I use 800 to start getting to about 3/4 through the orange peel
1200 to touch off the bottom of the orange peel and flatten
then 1500 2000
then I go to micro mesh
buff and polish using menzerna med , finish then 175
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'll add something too. When using micromesh, do NOT use them wet. I tried it once and they fell apart and ruined the pads. I just thought I'd mention it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I don't use the micro mesh pads I use the sheets and they do a fine job wet.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
jread

Post by jread »

useful thread, i've been woodworking since i was a kid but learning to polish a guitar this year forced me to re-learn many basics like properly sanding. I think mostly I've learned that there is a lot more to learn. Thanks for these tips!
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

John

What is 175 ??

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

a buffing compound from Menzernna
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
IRISHPICKER

Post by IRISHPICKER »

Thanks everyone got through all the grits on a rainy Sunday in New York the guitar is certainly smooth. I do have another question about Micro Mesh. In the Stew Mac finishing kit they only included the grits for wet dry 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000. Above John mentioned the micro mesh after those grits, is this even finer than the included sand paper and is it necessary or can I just go into buffing compounds? The kit includes 3 buffing compounds and then a swirl remover.

Once again thanks for all your advice.
Pat