Consequences of a larger soundhole?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
JLT

Re: Consequences of a larger soundhole?

Post by JLT »

I really don't have anything to add to these excellent suggestions except to recount my own experience with this. I did what Diane suggested on an already-built guitar I got from somebody, and cut an inner rosette which was glued under the soundboard proper. The only thing I did differently was to orient the grain perpendicular to the grain of the soundboard, figuring that it would help reduce the tendency of the soundboard to split there.

I used two pieces, each forming a half circle, so it was easy to pass them through the soundhole and glue them separately, using clothespins for clamps.
sorengyllstrom

Post by sorengyllstrom »

The diameter of the sound hole is around 15 cm.

I'm in the proces of find suitable wood - does anyone have a link for inspiration on what to chose? Seems like buying a new set of top plates, sanding etc is a bit over the top (pun intended ;) )

Best regards
Søren
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Oh my! If my memory is correct, it is supposed to be around 9.5 cm. Yes, I think you need to fix it.
For the benefit of other primitive colonials, 15 cm is about 5.9." and it should be 3.75".

So you need to add a ring 2.75 cm wide, about 1.1 inches. I'm just trying to visualize this.

For a source of wood, you might try contacting a supplier and ask if they have any orphan top halves. It seems a bit silly to buy a complete new top to cut up. I have seen single sides for sale though and somebody ought to have an odd half of a top that should be fairly cheap.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You can use any wood you want. It doesn't need to be spruce. You can use a beautiful decorative wood with a wild grain.

15cm is an awfully large soundhole! I know that Tony Riced guitars have enlarged soundholes, but I don't think they're that big. I agree with mainegeezer; I would definitely close it a bit.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
robinsonb5

Post by robinsonb5 »

Rather than try and hide it, I think I'd be tempted to turn it into a visual feature, by partially "eclipsing" the hole - possibly even integrated with a pick-guard.
eclipse.jpg
I have no idea what the implications of this would be sound-wise - but my gut feeling is that the open area of the soundhole matters more than its actual shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well, there is one thing to be said for a nearly 6" diameter sound hole -- it would be easy to get your hand inside to do repairs!

;-)
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
sorengyllstrom

Post by sorengyllstrom »

I will surely fix it, and I kind of like the eclipse idea:) Now i just have to find the wood.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The shape doesn't matter, so you can do as you wish with the hole. There are also ornate soundhole covers that you can make. You're only limited by your imagination.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
sorengyllstrom

Post by sorengyllstrom »

Well, looked around and came up with this which I think will work :)
robinsonb5

Post by robinsonb5 »

sorengyllstrom wrote:Well, looked around and came up with this which I think will work :)
Nice! Just make sure you can still get your hand through the hole that's left!