How far off quarter is too far?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Cbstark46143

How far off quarter is too far?

Post by Cbstark46143 »

I recently purchased a bridge blank and fretboard blank from a well known, reputable supplier.
As I have in the past, I expected to see quarter sawn material used to make these blanks. I’m disappointed with what I received.
In the photos, you will see I have drawn a white reference line at 45 degrees.

So, what are your thoughts?
Are these ok to use?.......or am I asking for trouble somewhere down the line?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skarsaune

Re: How far off quarter is too far?

Post by Skarsaune »

Just my opinion, but I think off-quarter like that for a bridge is fine.

A lot of the stress on a bridge comes from the saddle slot - that's where cracks always seem to occur - so the grain not being parallel to the slot actually seems like a good thing.

I have a foggy memory of reading that in one of my reference books as well - I may try to look it up when I get home.

Interested in others opinions as well.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that should be fine
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

From Tim McKnight, McKnight guitars - "For bridges I prefer wood between quarter and rift. I like about a 20* to 35* lean of the grain lines but not a true 45* rift angle. These cuts will be almost as stable as QS cuts. When drilling bridge pin holes the hole will "likely" bisect several annular rings making the wood far less likely to split. If you bore a perpendicular hole in a true quartersawn piece of wood, the wood could be more susceptible to splitting when side loaded. IMO, its even more important in the bridge slot where there is a greater side load and torquing effect on the leading edge of the saddle slot."

Knew I read it somewhere.