1st question, side prep

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jread

Re: 1st question, side prep

Post by jread »

Thanks for all the comments. I'm was tempted to shellac the inside but am going to leave it alone as for now my goal is going to be close as I can figure out how to get to a vintage d18. Love this Blues Creek kit. Thanks for doing what you do guys!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Your workmanship looks impeccable. You'll end up with a nice guitar. The one thing you can't build in is aging.

I have a theory, based on nothing in particular, that the resin in wood gradually crystallizes, or something, over time, and that is why older instruments, or instruments made of old wood, sound the way they do. That idea may be completely bogus, however.

You will definitely notice a difference in the sound in the first couple of weeks, as the wood gets used to being a guitar and settles in. That will continue, probably "forever," but the rate of change tails off fairly rapidly.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

Thank you again. A big goal of this project for me is to notch up my woodworking skills and shop setup several pegs. This is a stretch so am focusing on setup and execution. Will post again after a few more steps are done.