Bending fretwire

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Morgan

Bending fretwire

Post by Morgan »

I need to bend some fret wire, is there a pitfall to simply cutting an arc of MDF, routing a slot in the edge for the tang and bending around that?
tippie53

Re: Bending fretwire

Post by tippie53 »

I made my own with a hole saw made 3 rollers with the top one in the middle and a thin slot for the tang
I don't have a pic but it looks something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV804LQDll0
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I did what you are proposing to touch-up wire and increase the bend a little where needed. Mine is yellow pine with a saw kerf that followed a pencil line. I poked around and found a backsaw in the stash that was a slip-fit for the wire. Works fine for my purposes, but all the wire I have bought came pre-bent so i have never had to do the whole job with it

Ed
Ed M
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I made a fret bending jig from a drawing I fished from somewhere online. Had a parts list of all the bearings and rollers and handles and fasteners, and every bit came from my local True Value guitar tool store. Except for the UHMW cutting board I used for the body, that came from Target. Works just fine and didn't take but a couple of hours to build.
peter havriluk
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You may want something harder than MDF so the tang is a good stable non-wiggle fit in the groove, but I think it ought to work.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion