www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 pm 

I'm testing the Behlen Pore o PAC for grain filling over Behlen vinyl sealer. I don't like how it darkens the wood. Has anyone used the Aquacoat water based grain filler with the Behlen vinyl sanding sealer and nitrocellulose lacquer?

Karl B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 pm 

Karl, I used that combination on one guitar. All worked out fine, however I really didn't care much for the aquacoat. Still have half a quart I never used.
I've since switched to Timbermate. Love that stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I've applied 4 fills with Pore o Pac and still have grain. My expectation is for a glass smooth surface. Am I expecting too much?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Karl B

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 pm 

Just to follow up on my post, Behlen Pore-O-PAC both darkened the wood and muddied the grain when compared with Aqua Coat water based filler. On a series of test panels ( guitar side seconds from Hibdon Hardwoods) the Aqua coat was transparent and added a depth to the grain that can't be photographed- it was stunning. I spent weeks and weeks "testing". So goodbye Behlen Pore O PAC. Also top coated with Behlen vinyl sealer and Behlen Stringed Instrument nitrocellulose lacquer with no problems what so ever. Just could not become one with the Poor O PAC.

Karl B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am 

I've used only Aquacoat on all of my guitars. I'm going to use system 3, 2 part epoxy with my next couple of builds. I know what you mean about the depth of figure with Aquacoat, but I've had a couple of problems of late with it. I'm hoping the system 3 has the same look, without the need for 4-5 coats to porefill.

Thanks for the information.