Starting up my build again

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Starting up my build again

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Diane

Do you use both kinds of tape? Masking and bias? What keeps the bias tape from getting glued to the body where it contacts the corner?

Ed
Ed M
Michael Haines

Post by Michael Haines »

The bindings were the plastic ones that came with the kit. Not sure I like the idea of gluing plastic to wood anyway. Thanks Mike Haines
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Mike

Not that it means anything for your personal guitar, but the vast majority of guitars built today and for the last 75+ years have had plastic binding, As soon as celluloid came out in the 20's it became a favorite. Even the highest quality names like D'Angelico used it. There are several glues that do a fine job of it.

Ed
Ed M
Michael Haines

Post by Michael Haines »

I used the Duco glue that most use and the bindings peeled off with little effort. I will try wood on this one. I will cut them slightly larger than what I currently have so I can clean up the channels a bit.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Diane

Do you use both kinds of tape? Masking and bias? What keeps the bias tape from getting glued to the body where it contacts the corner?

Ed
Ed, I tape the guitar with 3M green tape or masking tape, as I bind, then I wrap it with the cotton twill tape.

I clean up any squeeze out immediately, so I don't generally have problems with any tape sticking. The binding is almost completely covered by the binding tape. I double check for squeeze out, but very little of the binding is exposed when I wrap the guitar, especially in the problem areas. So, the twill doesn't come into contact with glue.

I'll be taking photos of the quilted mahogany build that will show the whole process.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Michael Haines wrote:I used the Duco glue that most use and the bindings peeled off with little effort. I will try wood on this one. I will cut them slightly larger than what I currently have so I can clean up the channels a bit.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm partial to wood bindings too.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com