FIRST FEW STEPS ON KIT BUILD YES OR NO

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Gibsonman

FIRST FEW STEPS ON KIT BUILD YES OR NO

Post by Gibsonman »

Ok so for the past 4 or 5 months I have read and looked at video's on building a kit guitar. I have not ordered my kit as of yet, but have talked to Mr. John Hall and he knows what I want. This will be my first kit and I just don't want to get off on the wrong foot. Speed has nothing to do with it I just want to take my time and do the best I can.
Like I said I have watched many of John's video's and if I am not mistaken I think maybe he has changed a few little things since they were made.
As far as I can see right now here is what I think are the first few steps to get things started on the right foot.

Unpack the kit and let it acclimate to my shop's humidity and temp. for a few days.
In the meantime using the neck locate the centerline on the neck block and mark it. Stamp neck block if you wish.
Mark centerline on tail block and install the piece of plywood in the bask side.
If needed cut the rims to length and at this time put them into the mold.
Try to install the neck and tail blocks while they are in the mold, leaving a tad sticking out at the top and bottom.
In the video prepping the rims John take then out of the mold, but I think not now??
I now think this is the time that you screw the neck to the mold. Not sure if you also screw the tailblock, but in his video he does not.
Then I think it's time to use the radius dis and rough the radius to the top and bottom.
Comments PLEASE.
Gibsonman

Re: FIRST FEW STEPS ON KIT BUILD YES OR NO

Post by Gibsonman »

One thing I forgot to say. I think John wants as much of the work on the body to be done while it's in the mold.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Basically, yes. Once you get the end blocks glued in place, you should have it in the mold while you glue on the kerfing, and leave it in the mold while you use the radius dishes and glue on the top and bottom.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
thronson

Post by thronson »

I too am studying the procedures in prep for a 1st build. It seems to me these first steps set up the neck alignment correctly, so final set up corrections are minimal.

i don't see how one can clamp the blocks to the sides while in the mold. Video shows, the blocks are marked, sides trimmed, blocks glued and clamped equally proud, cured, then fitted into mold, and blocks secured with screws.

TEP
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes I start by screwing the blocks first so I have positive location
then I trim the sides and drill through the sides so when I run the screws back in I don't split the sides
Then I will start by adding some glue and screwing in the blocks. Tape the blocks to the sides and clamp
allow about 5 min to tack pull the screws and finish clamping outside the mold.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You'll put your sides in the mold, top side down (the flat side of your sides), making sure that they lay nice and flat against the bench. Using spreaders, make them tight to the mold. If they overlap at the top or bottom, mark your centers, using a ruler that goes across the mold. I like to use small spring clamps to hold the overlapped sides together, while marking them. I clamp and cut one at a time, because you'll have to have the other end open while cutting.

Keeping them clamped with the spring clamps, I take them out of the mold, and cut the sides on the center line, while they're still clamped and overlapped. This way, they don't shift, and the cut edges will meet. I do this at the tail first, then put it back into the mold, with the tail seam meeting, and I repeat the process with the neck.

See my terrible drawing.

If you buy the kit from John, and use one of his molds, I think he may have this already done for you. Check with him.

Once the rims are in the mold. You'll mark center on your tail and neck blocks. The center of the neck block, is center of the MORTISE (cut out area for the neck) NOT the center of the block. This is important, because you want the neck to be centered, not necessarily the block. Sometimes this area is routed out a little off center. (See terrible drawing). Once you've marked everything, DRY fit it. When it looks good, it's time to glue. It's better to screw in the glued neck block per John's video, so it doesn't shift on you. Go to YouTube and watch his video for more information. Once you've done this, then the kerfing goes in.
PicsArt_08-21-01.12.14.jpg
Center line neck block_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Gibsonman

Post by Gibsonman »

Video shows neck block only screwed to the rim. Should you also do the end block? If so center where end pin will go or not?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the tail is screwed to the center
there will usually be a tail wedge purfling added so you can plug the hole prior to installing the tail piece
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Gibsonman wrote:Video shows neck block only screwed to the rim. Should you also do the end block? If so center where end pin will go or not?
The end pin goes into the center of the tailblock. I've put a photo of a build, showing the wood I used for the end wedge, with black/white,/black purfling on each side. The pin goes in the center of this, once the guitar is done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com