Where to start on roughed out neck

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Kbore

Re: Where to start on roughed out neck

Post by Kbore »

Thank you all for the excellent information. Didn't do a lick of guitar work this weekend. Took y'all s advise and spent the weekend trying to use my spokeshave on a piece of scrap pine. After hours of fiddling and googling, In desperation, I finally moved the cap backwards with the blade upside down ( I think but not sure) and it finally started cutting curly Qs. I have had this miserable contraption for a long time, bought it to shape hoe and shovel handles when I replaced a bunch of mine.

I did rework it, to the nth degree- bed is flat, blade is flat, cap is flat, blade is scary sharp. I have spent hours and hours trying to figger out how this thing works. Every way I configured it, it would choke up with wood chips then start to chatter. Finally, as shown in the multi- media presentation attached, having tried both bevel up and bevel down with the same miserable clogging me jorrible chatter, I installed the blade as shown and moved the cap back even with the back of the bevel so the chips can clear and not clog. Doing this put the cap far away from its home. I actukky think this is the wrong cap. Even when installed "right" it's shoulders don't touch the cast body like they should. Anyone with with this type of plane, please tell me the correct configuration. Linz #51 AR ROUND sole...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Here's a YouTube video reviewing it. It shows you the spokeshave clearly and although he doesn't go through the whole process of setup, you can see how it's put together.

https://youtu.be/5Jnzx8Mkakk
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This video is about the set up. https://youtu.be/HjfU461Q0ck

He talks about the chatter. In have a woodriver spokeshave. It was around $55, but I love it. It was a very easy setup and it has an adjustable throat. I honed it has had it shaving very quickly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:Here's a YouTube video reviewing it. It shows you the spokeshave clearly and although he doesn't go through the whole process of setup, you can see how it's put together.

Thank you for both the links. Amazing that that didn't come up in my searches. Finally, a crysrclear view of the blade! Yep, the last config I used had the blade reversed. Thinking I will work on the cap keyhole to make it longer so the shoulders (red) touch the cast body (green) like the one in the video. I'll give it another shot. Thanks again For taking the time to Google that up ( hum, maybe it's my search engine, I'm using Yahoo).
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kbore wrote:
Diane Kauffmds wrote:Here's a YouTube video reviewing it. It shows you the spokeshave clearly and although he doesn't go through the whole process of setup, you can see how it's put together.

Thank you for both the links. Amazing that that didn't come up in my searches. Finally, a crysrclear view of the blade! Yep, the last config I used had the blade reversed. Thinking I will work on the cap keyhole to make it longer so the shoulders (red) touch the cast body (green) like the one in the video. I'll give it another shot. Thanks again For taking the time to Google that up ( hum, maybe it's my search engine, I'm using Yahoo).
There does seem to be a bit of a difference in search engines. I use google, but I also went directly to YouTube and did some searches. I usually do several searches with modified wording, to find information. I'm glad I could help.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:....I have a woodriver spokeshave. It was around $55, but I love it. It was a very easy setup and it has an adjustable throat. I honed it has had it shaving very quickly.
Is your spokeshave flat or round bottomed?
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The woodriver is s flat bottom spokeshave. Woodriver is the store brand for Woodcraft. Here's s YouTube video on it, https://youtu.be/0OjGcoAMMCU
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kbore

The green and red of your spokeshave tells me it is a Kunz made tool. Their tools can be made to work fine, but frequently have problems as sold. It is a copy of the Stanley 151, as are all of the cast iron shaves currently being made - the reason is the two depth adjusters make it very easy to use. A couple of things you might look at:

Remove the blade and look at the surface where it bears. There may be a paint glob or other defect that is preventing the blade from sitting down tightly and this will cause chatter. Run a file over it to make sure it is flat.

The blade should be installed so the logo is facing out, and the bevel down (behind). You would like the cap to be all the way onto its slot at the screw, and it should end up big of 1/8" from the edge of the blade.

Are you taking big thick shavings and that is why they aren't fitting through the mouth? These tools can take wispy shaving when you get good at it. Here is a vintage Stanley 151 - if the mouth is a lot smaller than this, you can open it a bit with a file.

Also, consider that you are not taking much off of your neck and the best tool may be a coarse file and not a spokeshave.
Ed M
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Thanks everyone for the guidance and information. I spent another 2-3 hours meticulously grooming the beast. It takes big cuts just fine. The goal was to finesse a thin wispy shaving from it. I spent so much time on it, to no avail, that I decommissioned it so I will not be wasting another minute of guitar time on it. It became a challenge, but was not worth the hours spent on it. I'll take your advise and return to the rasp. These is just so much zen in shaving wood with a sharp plane!
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I don't blame you. Fighting a tool is no fun. If you still want a spokeshave, I really like my woodriver spokeshave. It required the usual blade honing that all new planes need. I thought that it would be complicated, but the video helped; I only adjusted the blade 2x to get nice curls.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/wood ... spokeshave
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars