How to shape a DIY Kit Headstock

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
JustinLev12

How to shape a DIY Kit Headstock

Post by JustinLev12 »

Hi There!

I'm new to this forum and I apologise profusely if there is already a thread on this topic.

I've just purchased my first DIY Telecaster kit and all has gone very well so far. The only issue I have is with the headstock. I need to shape to look like the Peghead from a tele but I have no idea how or what tools I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much :D

Justin
tippie53

Re: How to shape a DIY Kit Headstock

Post by tippie53 »

you can use a band saw or a coping saw and then rasp and sand smooth.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

What I would do is make a drawing of the right size and shape for a template. Cut it out, then trace around it on the headplate.

Cut out the excess material well OUTSIDE of the line, using a bandsaw or manual saw, like an Irwin dovetail saw, which is a pull saw, or a Japanese pull saw. Sand the rest of it to the line.

I mention the Irwin, because this has been my goto saw for shaping headstocks, until I bought a small bandsaw. It removes material quickly and almost effortlessly.

You probably already have an image, but if not, I've downloaded one for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Sweet! Thank you, I just bought the same kit from StewMac.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

Which Tele though? The headstock has mutated almost randomly over the years, as you can see from the multitude of templates in this document. They're not wildly divergent, but you have to pick one or mix and match bits. (I'd go with whatever matches the tuner holes in the kit, personally.)