Neck Set Story

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
MaineGeezer

Re: Neck Set Issues

Post by MaineGeezer »

You can glue on the shims first, then sand them down, I suppose. I don't see why not. Whatever is most comfortable for you.

Even if you glue on the shims first, hoever, I would strive to get them correct before gluing them on. I think the sanding-down process is likely to be easier if the shims are loose rather than tucked into a dovetail.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kbore wrote:
tippie53 wrote:check out this link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNcbA1P95KE
Ahh, the addendum... I’ve viewed that many times. The only thing missing was my mistakes! Ha.

I really feel it necessary to glue then remove shim material Since I have a tapered fit, and it is large and complex. I want to glue shims first, then remove material with 80 grit. I’ve done the “A” and “C”.. moving on to “E” elevation. Attach shims to tenon or mortise ( there seems to be differing views of this)?

Thanks for the replys!
I've done it both ways, gluing then removing excess material, and waiting until the fit is right, then gluing. Both work. I glue to the tenon. I try not to make changes to the mortise.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Hello everyone,
I finally have my neck set as peffectly as I can measure: A, C and E. When I get to the place where I glue it with LMI yellow instrument glue, will the glue or the process change the fit or geometry? Will it swell the neck block and neck tenon? I have a fear of the glue process locking the neck out of geometry.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I know exactly what you're driving at. If anything, the small amount of eventual wood swelling will only serve to lock your neck in the place where you clamp it better. It won't push it out of geometry. You're good to go!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Hello all,
My neck is pretty much set up and I’m about to glue on the finger board.
The neck angle hits 5/64 above the center front of the bridge ( maybe even 6/64 above). Is that too high? What is optimal for a six string dread?

Page is 306 of Cumpiano Guitar Making says 1/64 to 4/64. I value your second opinions while conidering aging and other movements unknown to me.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Optimal is to grace the top of the bridge. You can go as high as 1/16" above. Personally, I try to stay within 1/32".

This is all with the fretted fretboard attached. I used to attach the fretboard after installing the neck. Now, I attach the it to the neck, before installing it. I find that it helps me find the geometry faster.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I tend to go 1/16" above the bridge, with the fretboard (and frets) installed. That is, a straightedge on top of the frets clears the top of the bridge by 1/16".

Like Diane, I install the fretboard before I install the neck.

In fact, I install the fretboard before the neck is fully shaped. I cut the side profile of the neck, then I cut the fretboard to its final dimensions, glue it to the neck, and install the frets. Then I shape the neck to its final contours, bringing it down to blend with the sides of the fretboard. When the neck is 100% shaped and finished, only then do I install it on the body. (Then body is also finished at that point.)
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

The plan is to set the neck without actually attaching the fretboard. Next will remove neck, attach the finger board then shape the neck. I was expecting, after finishing, the neck would fit with no tweaking.

Before preceding, I will scribe the neck favoring the top of the Joint to lower the angle a couple of 64ths and call that part of the neck set done. I added a couple of brads so the FB is ready to attach. I had so much chalk dust on the mortise, when I wiped it away with naphtha, the neck dropped at least a 64th into the pocket. I may raise the grain on shoulders and mortise to get that 64th back. Given that the chalk had an effect, was is the effect of the finish Thickness? Almost "to much fun. Wonder if changes in humidity are part of the issues I've been experiencing? Thanks for the re
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Changes in humidity will have a bit of an affect if it's a huge swing, but I think you'd only notice it as far as how tight the tenon fits, and even then, it's pretty negleable. Humidity affects the box a lot more.

The finish thickness is negleable too. A load of finish has to be applied to reach 1/64".
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kbore

Re: Neck Set Story

Post by Kbore »

I come to the end of my trials and tribulations setting my first neck. After mny dditional hours of fitting, and without Knowing what else to do, I glued one more full length shim to one side of the mortise. I don't know why, but that was the perfect location and length shim to glue there. It squared the neck perfectly and only required a little additional finesse to get the height above the top within the range of perfect. Now The neck is centered, , level, flushed and angled as near perfect as I can measure/ produce. I'm elated and grateful for all the guidance And encouragement I received from you guys, so thank you.

I've been clamping the bjesus out of the joint when I take my sightings and measurements, and I hope the GLUE doesn't gaul or ruin the fit. If I need to compensate for the glue, please tell me now lol. I expect that gluing the finger board to the neck won't have any effect on the fit, Am I dreaming? And after all the work, the neck moved at lease 3/32 closer to the bridge, but the but of the tenon is not touching, it's very close but there I still a tiny gap.

So now it's on to the fingerboard attachment and shaping the neck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B