When is a 1-3/4" nut not a 1-3/4" nut?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: When is a 1-3/4" nut not a 1-3/4" nut?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

So, by their way of thinking, is a 1 13/16" nut really a 1 3/4? Tell them that you need a nut that actually measures 1 3/4" wide, not a nut that is "considered" 1 3/4", Martin or otherwise.

A 1/16" is a whopping big difference in my book.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

In stewmacs defense, they list the actual dimensions for each nut.
OldManGuitarGuy

Post by OldManGuitarGuy »

This has always been a confusing subject for me. I've owned Martins, Taylor, and a bunch of lesser known brand guitars. Finally found the Eastman line. I tell people it sounds like a Martin but plays like a Taylor. But then that confuses some people even more. All I know is I like whatever nut size, string spacing the Eastman guitars have. I am considering purchasing a guitar kit to build, so I need to re-visit all this nut width stuff to figure out what I want!

Doug
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I find that a small difference in width makes a huge difference in the way it feels to play. 1-11/16" seems to be a popular nut width these days, but I think it's kind of cramped. I think you said you're a fingerpicker. In that case, I suspect you'd find 1-3/4"" more comfortable. I tend to mostly fingerpick as well. On the first guitar I built, I made the nut 1-13/16". That feels pretty wide, but I like it for picking. But, as they say, "your mileage may vary."

Measure the center-to-center distance between strings 1 and 6 at the nut on your Eastman and go from there. I generally allow 1/8" at the ends (i.e. strings 1 and 6 are set in 1/8" from the ends of the nut) so when I make nuts the dimensions would be, in theory,

Nut width 1-to-6 string spacing
1-11/16" 1-7/16"
1-3/4" 1-1/2"
1-13/16" 1-9/16"

Other people do it differently.

[Edit] I just looked at the Eastman website. Their dreadnought has a 1-3/4" nut. Martin's is 1-11/16". The Martin guitar kits will be 1-11/16". Maybe John can arrange for a custom neck with a 1-3/4" nut.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
OldManGuitarGuy

Post by OldManGuitarGuy »

MaineGeezer wrote:...
Measure the center-to-center distance between strings 1 and 6 at the nut on your Eastman and go from there. I generally allow 1/8" at the ends (i.e. strings 1 and 6 are set in 1/8" from the ends of the nut) so when I make nuts the dimensions would be, in theory,
Other people do it differently.

[Edit] I just looked at the Eastman website. Their dreadnought has a 1-3/4" nut. Martin's is 1-11/16". The Martin guitar kits will be 1-11/16". Maybe John can arrange for a custom neck with a 1-3/4" nut.
Thanks for that info on measuring the "nut width". I've not seen it so well defined.

And also thank you for the suggestion to ask John. I believe I will. I probably ought to drop by my local guitar shop and play a Martin enough to get a feel for its nut width. The last Martin I owned was probably 10 years ago....and I floundered a lot between then and about 4 years ago, thinking it was the equipment that was more important than my meager abilities. Now I realize the equipment is a part of the "picture", but certainly not all.

Doug