Aquacoat With Behlen Vinyl Sealer and Behlen Nitro?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Kbore

Aquacoat With Behlen Vinyl Sealer and Behlen Nitro?

Post by Kbore »

I'm testing the Behlen Pore o PAC for grain filling over Behlen vinyl sealer. I don't like how it darkens the wood. Has anyone used the Aquacoat water based grain filler with the Behlen vinyl sanding sealer and nitrocellulose lacquer?
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Aquacoat With Behlen Vinyl Sealer and Behlen Nitro?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Karl, I used that combination on one guitar. All worked out fine, however I really didn't care much for the aquacoat. Still have half a quart I never used.
I've since switched to Timbermate. Love that stuff.
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Thanks for the feedback. I've applied 4 fills with Pore o Pac and still have grain. My expectation is for a glass smooth surface. Am I expecting too much?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Just to follow up on my post, Behlen Pore-O-PAC both darkened the wood and muddied the grain when compared with Aqua Coat water based filler. On a series of test panels ( guitar side seconds from Hibdon Hardwoods) the Aqua coat was transparent and added a depth to the grain that can't be photographed- it was stunning. I spent weeks and weeks "testing". So goodbye Behlen Pore O PAC. Also top coated with Behlen vinyl sealer and Behlen Stringed Instrument nitrocellulose lacquer with no problems what so ever. Just could not become one with the Poor O PAC.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've used only Aquacoat on all of my guitars. I'm going to use system 3, 2 part epoxy with my next couple of builds. I know what you mean about the depth of figure with Aquacoat, but I've had a couple of problems of late with it. I'm hoping the system 3 has the same look, without the need for 4-5 coats to porefill.

Thanks for the information.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com