Pinning the Fingerboard For Glue Up

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Kbore

Re: Pinning the Fingerboard For Glue Up

Post by Kbore »

Finger board is already fretted, to 14th. I'll see how many tiny drill bit I can break for my safety pin sized holes. I don't want to have to fill a .063 hole on finger board. Live and learn.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Pinning the Fingerboard For Glue Up

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Just thinking out loud here - align the fretboard where you want it, then clamp strips of wood around all 4 sides so that when you remove the board and put it back down it returns to the exact same place. Now drill a small hole and insert 2 brads in the neck on the top surface, as far from each other as you can get them, then nip them off to about 1/16"+, then push the fretboard in place making marks on the back of the fretboard where the brads are located. Remove the board and drill a shallow hole the right size at the depression on the bottom of the board, then put it back in place and press it all the way down. Remove the four alignment strips. Now the fretboard can be returned to the right location when you remove it, and will align properly for gluing.

Easier and quicker than drilling and filing with safety pins

Ed
Ed M