Bird Cherry for instruments?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Stray Feathers

Bird Cherry for instruments?

Post by Stray Feathers »

Not sure where to post this question so it is here. We have a volunteer tree in our yard that has outlived its usefulness and will come down this fall. It's a Bird Cherry, Prunus avium, a European native. The trunk or bole is about 9-10 inches in diameter and about four feet in length pretty clear of knots. Are there any UK luthiers out there who are familiar with this wood that might comment on whether it is worth trying to get something out of it other than firewood? It is not big enough to provide book matched sets, but I wondered if I might get neck blocks or even binding material out of it. I realize I would have to seal it and store it to season etc. Otherwise I am sure it will keep us warm next winter . . .
tippie53

Re: Bird Cherry for instruments?

Post by tippie53 »

I doubt that this is large enough to make anything . Till you remove the heart and sap wood you won't have more that a few inches. You will know once you split it open.
You can use it if you can get it to dry but a tree to have any chance of luthiery grade needs to be about 18 in at least
across
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com