Fairing a curve

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Chardo

Fairing a curve

Post by Chardo »

Starting to build forms and jigs. What the best way to, make Templets
From a set of plans and get nice smooth curves. I would like my temp let to. E awesome so I get good results from my building experience.
If it's to loud ...
jamoat52

Re: Fairing a curve

Post by jamoat52 »

The ideal way to get smooth templates is to trace the shape from a full size pattern, and cut them out with a band or scroll saw. Cut on the waste side of the line and sand to the line with progressively finer sandpaper. The fastest results come from using a drum sander, but you can use: first, a rasp, then a file and finally sandpaper on a dowel or a piece of PVC pipe of an appropriate diameter. When forming the mold, screw both sides of the "blank" together before marking and roughing in, and separate the halves only after the final sanding. That way both sides match exactly. If you are making a "standard" size, you might consider buying a pre-built molds or forms (Blues Creek sells fine ones) either new or used (sometimes you can find them in the classifieds of this forum). Use quality stable wood or cabinet grade plywood (it has fewer voids), work carefully and take your time, and you can build tools that will last a lifetime!

George
tippie53

Re: Fairing a curve

Post by tippie53 »

I used to get copies made then glue that to a template material cut near the line then use a drum sander to go to the line.
Template don't have to be 100% perfect just get them close your molds need to be as they are the master to your shape.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com