Top and back radius of j45 copy

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jusbroacoustic

Top and back radius of j45 copy

Post by jusbroacoustic »

Hello,

First time builder here. What's the top and back radius on the Collins plan? I did not see it anywhere, and I have to get radius disks. Any help you can give would be great.
jusbroacoustic

Re: Top and back radius of j45 copy

Post by jusbroacoustic »

Any one?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have a gibson but I am not familiar with these plans
the tops on Gibsons are flat the back is about a 25 on mine
the top braces are different from Martin in that the shape is more /\ martin has a flat part and also the insides are so poorly done in appearance in gibson.
hope this helps
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jusbroacoustic

Post by jusbroacoustic »

Thanks John. So there is no top raidius? That is interesting...how does that work with a 12 degree radius of the head stock and fret board? Is it beause of the the side profile will provide a slight radius to the top? sorry for the simple questions, I am just trying to get my head around it. Secondly, should the bracing be more martin then, if the gibson are not as preferable?
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

It isn't that one is more preferable/better than the other, they produce different sounds based on the specs. If one prefers one guitar sound over another one should shoot for that spec. I have built several Gibson style guitars using more of a Martin style bracing spec (my preference and my customers like them). I have however had some customers that are shooting for the Gibson look and sound so I aim to get closer using Gibson specs.
Tim Benware
jusbroacoustic

Post by jusbroacoustic »

I like both. However, I do a lot of fingerstyle now a days. I just really like the body style. However, I already have a neck built. It has a 12 degree radius. Thus, me using a different radius on the top (i.e. Martin) would affect the string height at the bridge more severely. So, I am just trying to get the best guitar I can build right now.
jusbroacoustic

Post by jusbroacoustic »

sorry for all the questions. But, for a first time builder what would you all recommend me to do? I just want to create a consitanct radius that will work with with my neck to create the best angle to get the correct spacing for the bridge.
John J

Post by John J »

Are you talking about the fingerboard radius and the top radius?
Learning every day.
jusbroacoustic

Post by jusbroacoustic »

The I am trying to get the correct top radius to achieve the correct spacing for when I arrive at the point at putting the bride on. I have a neck pre-made. I believe he copied the plans I have. I believe it is a 12 degree angle at the head stock. I am going to use put a 12 degree radius on the fret board. I just was a king sure ...that I understand it right.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the headstock angle has nothing to do with the top and the fret board radius also is only effecting the bridge and saddle. Martin and Gibson don't have the same building techniques
Martin often has a higher bridge and saddle as compared to gibson.

If you want to control your top here is the best method I use to get a very repeatable result.

check out these 2 links the one works to help the other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz6xzVRA51E&t=22s

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ial+set+up
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com