First time builder - Help Needed

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Nahil14

First time builder - Help Needed

Post by Nahil14 »

Hi Y'all,

I have just started my first build using a serviced LMI parlor kit. I have absolutely no woodworking experience but I am very eager to learn. Anyways I have encountered a few problems that I would be really grateful if any of you could help me with.

1) I have cut the sides to length but have not yet radiused or tapered the back, I figured I would plane and sand them once I have the heel block and end block glues in. What I have done is squared up the rims on the top facing part of the guitar and made it completely flat to use as a reference until I have the heel / end block in. Is this approach ok?

2) The plans that came with the kit makes no reference to the dimensions for the heel and end blocks, I only know the height of each of them as that is mentioned on the plan. How do I figure out the rest of the dimensions of both block?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Nahil.
tippie53

Re: First time builder - Help Needed

Post by tippie53 »

the neck block should be about 1 3/8 in to 1 9/16 in depending on what period you want to follow. The tail 9/16 to 3/4 in will do just fine.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Nahil14

Post by Nahil14 »

Thanks for the quick response John.

What about the width of each block?
sammyjit

Post by sammyjit »

The top portion of the sides should be square. It helps me to glue the neck and tail block while the sides are in the mold. Later you will end up sanding the neck angle into the portion of the sides at the upper bout.