24.9 Martin Scale Neck OEM

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
sammyjit

24.9 Martin Scale Neck OEM

Post by sammyjit »

I have a 24.9 scale martin neck that I want to use on my 000/OM acoustic body. The neck itself is larger by about 3/32 on each side of the fret-board. I was going to rout the extra material off, but then I wondered if the wider neck was there for a reason. Is the neck wider because of the shorter scale? Would it be alright to route the extra material to the width of the fret-board? If not, I would fill it in with binding.

Sam
ruby@magpage.com

Re: 24.9 Martin Scale Neck OEM

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Sam

The neck should be as wide as the fretboard. The neck may have been made to accept a 1-3/4" wide nut, and the fretboard is cut to 1-11/16 - something like that. I might glue on the fretboard, then reshape the neck to match it. A router sounds like a scary thing to use on an odd shape like a finished neck. A block plane or a spokeshave would make short work of it, but if you are unsure of your sharpening skills, a rasp, then a file, then sandpaper will get the job done. Take long steady strokes with the rasp, and blend in the shape of the neck to feel good.

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Re: 24.9 Martin Scale Neck OEM

Post by tippie53 »

Agree no router As Ed points out , sand or rasp down.
It is common for the neck to be a touch wider as you sand things down to fit. The fretboard is the key component. That you don't want to change.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com