Pushing through frustration?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
rcnewcomb

Pushing through frustration?

Post by rcnewcomb »

What do you to push through the times when you are frustrated with your build?

I'm at the point where I'm noticing all the flaws -- nothing extreme that would compromise the build -- more cosmetic form-and-fit stuff. It's only my second build so I know I'll get better with practice.

Examples:
I don't like the way the backstrap looks
the fit between the fingerboard extension and the top needs a bit more sanding to get it perfect
the wood binding has a few uneven spots
I wish I had either stained the mahogany backs and sides or used an amber shellac

How do you decide what to keep fiddling with versus calling it good enough?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Danl8

Re: Pushing through frustration?

Post by Danl8 »

That's déjà vu all over again -- my sisyphean reality. I'm taking more care in what I do to prevent those kinds of issues. I'm working on a sinker mahogany dreadnought right now and have slowed to a snail's pace anticipating potential trouble. My previous 00-12 build is a litany of what could go wrong and did and pushing through in spite of it (posted elsewhere on the site). Don't be distracted by the frustration, instead use it as motivation to get it right.
John J

Post by John J »

I look it as each build is a learning experience in and if itself. The problems that we as builders see are generally unnoticed by non luthiers. If it's just minor cosmetic issues I do what I can to hide the flaw I see and continue. Sometimes the most beautiful sounding guitar isn't the most beautiful. My 2c.
Learning every day.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

How do you decide what to keep fiddling with versus calling it good enough?
I stop when I find myself causing more harm than good or I fear that is the case.

I am on my 25th instrument, it is way better than my second but I still have the level of issues you describe in your example issues. Learn something from each guitar you make and be proud of what you have been able to accomplish in each project.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

One critical thing for me is to recognize when I've working on it long enough and I need a break. If I go beyond a certain point, I start doing "barn carpenter" things instead of taking the care and time the job needs...with predictable results. If I can stop when I should, I do fewer stupid things.

Of course, there are the stupid things I do anyway....

One thing that helps is, again, to walk away and come back to it later with fresh eyes and attitude. It may not be as disastrous as first thought. One hopes.

Another thing that helps is to realize that the flaw in the finish or the uneven section of binding or whatever it is that bugs you no end probably won't be noticed by anybody else.

And it also helps to understand that there is always another guitar to build.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

As all have said - first thing when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging. If you notice a problem, STOP and think about it. I learned this after doing a couple of too-quick repairs. I have actually removed a back and reglued it.

Another thing to do is to either take extensive pictures or keep good notes so that you can see what led up to the problem.

I am on #7 right now and still have to think too much about neck angle and routing for a rosette.

Remember - it's not a mistake unless you can't fix it

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Like Ed says when in a hole stop digging.
We all go through this. Learning a skill takes time and patience . Often taking a break and looking at what your are doing with a fresh eye can help big time.
I just finished #214 and I am still learning. The key is to not try and do all the fixes at once but categorize them. Is my problem a tool ? is it the material ? is it a technique?
Most of use will have a fit and finish issue then as we get better we notice other areas so take it as a learning experience. Often we are are own harshest critics.

When in doubt take a walk , enjoy a coffee , play with the dog or go fishin. Get it out of your head so when you come back to it , the fresh side of the brain kicks in.

This is to be fun , and share your experiences both good and bad. We can all learn from each other , even if it is not to do that. That is and will always be the goal of this forum .
Have fun
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

One more thing: As some wise man once said, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If it's a guitar that sounds and plays nice, you done good. The guitar is what it's supposed to be. Your next one will be better, but ... here's the important thing ... it will not be perfect, either.

Making mistakes and learning from them is part of the process. There's a master luthier named William Cumpiano who wrote: "A master is someone who has made more mistakes than you, has made mistakes you haven't made yet, and has learned how to embrace them--thus learning to see them coming before they happen. So you go towards mastery one mistake at a time. How many mistakes can you stand? As many as it takes to be a master. The master has persevered past the errors until he's made all of them."
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I found over time that a big enemy of mine is - - - me! I found that my end project benefits a whole lot from my walking away from it when I try to push through a problem. And the biggest benefit I found was following a rigid shutdown schedule. I stop work at ten PM or before if whatever I'd be doing would take me appreciably past that time. Worked wonders. Far fewer regrets the next day, wishing I'd taken more time, acted with more care. Stop, think, and go relax a bit. A good book is a big contributor to my project success.
peter havriluk
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I want to add something profound, but man, everyone has already said it.
This is ALL so true. I'm still a newbee finishing up my 12th guitar. Sometimes I can't believe when I've made another mistake, but it is going to happen.
I am not perfect in anything that I do. I hope to learn, and move on. And what was said about we are our worst critics is so very true. Much of what we see as a glitch in the fit or finish, the owner is not even going to notice. So I say try and not get frustrated. Tell yourself on this one it is going to have to be good enough, and then do what works the next time to try and get it better.