Electric Sanders

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
IRISHPICKER

Electric Sanders

Post by IRISHPICKER »

If this belongs in the tool section please let me know and I will move it. Just wondering if there is a preferred sander for working on the guitar bodies. I am noticing arthritis in my thumbs and the sanding aspect is becoming a little painful. So far all of the sanding has been done using sandpaper on a wood block. Does anyone use an electric sander and if so are there any special functions or brands I should be looking for?

Pat
tippie53

Re: Electric Sanders

Post by tippie53 »

festool is a great one. It is a ROS Random Orbital Sander I also use a Milwalkee.
they are my #1 go to sanders
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've got a Makita pad sander, just because I had it prior to getting into guitar building, but the luthier I've been working with favors a random-orbit sander.

Actually, I'm finding I'm using my homemade thickness sander a lot more than I expected I would. I do still use the pad sander for finish sanding, although I also do a lot of hand sanding with a wood or felt block.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

I use a Milwaukee too.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Porter Cable 330, used model built in USA not the newer one built overseas.
Tim Benware
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

Just ordered a Festool on special up here in Canada for $129 CDN (that's about $29.95 USD lol).
It's $180 off regular price AND gives a $50 credit towards your next purchase. I've wanted one for a long time, but never had the money. Festool.ca.

Brent
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'll just throw this out as something different. I've had surgery on both of my hands in this past year and I have a lot of arthritis. I use a random orbital palm sander for the top and back, but for smaller or awkward areas I use the Ryobi detail sander. It's easy to hold and control.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-0-4-Amp- ... /206354298
0cdcc111-3781-4507-970f-2bfe64d10abd_300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
IRISHPICKER

Post by IRISHPICKER »

All,
Thanks for the great suggestions I just missed out on the Festool at Woodcraft supply for $99 and they are not taking any more orders. I am investigating the Bosch and the Milwaukee sanders and will pick one or the other and advise the boss for the holidays.

That is a great idea on the detail sanders I already have two in the house but was not sure if it was safe for the guitar bodies because of the action but I will do a little experimenting.

This site continues to be such a great resource.

Pat