Request for tool recommendations

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
msloescher

Request for tool recommendations

Post by msloescher »

I need a plane. I hesitate to ask because there are endless views and I know you ought to have many types-- but look, for the small builder on a budget what's needed is a plane to thickness tops. I've tried all else-- sanding, cabinet scrapping, upside down japanese hacksaw devices, but I guess I need a plane. When I buy backs and sides, i have others thickness them and leave it at that. But tops and occasionally making head plates and end wedges from largely already thinned cut-offs are the problem. When I buy tops, i buy only the best i can afford from Canada or Europe and they arrive between variously 1/4 - 3/8 or so. I'm happy to tune up said plane up hours, if need be, and I need one for my old fingers that can be adjusted by turning a knob because fine motor skills (not strength or coordination) are a problem-- if you haven't gotten to that point, you will. Put an old man in a closed room with five small parts, four will be dropped and the other lost.

would this work:
https://www.amazon.com/GreatNeck-C4-Ben ... E7KGPKGE3Q
OK Work, Fairly Soon
ACME Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Request for tool recommendations

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

msloescher

I have Loeschers in my family - from west of Cleveland, Ohio

That would be a good size - a #4 which is 9" long. You could use anything from a bevel up block plane 6" long to a 22" #7, but I think you are in the right range, a #4 or #5 at 14" would be good. Be aware that this is a cheap plane and will be a little more difficult to get to take a nice thin shaving because it may not have a solid blade bedding onto the frog, and may not have a blade that takes a good edge, but you can get it to work. However, with a little looking you should be able to find a nice older plane of this size for $25 that has more potential. Look for Stanley, Sargent, of Millers Falls as 3 common, reliably quality makers.

Ed
Ed M
msloescher

Post by msloescher »

Ed, thank you. I dont know any in Cleveland, but my family was from Cincinnati. I take the wisdowm from you post, cheap here probably just borrows trouble.
OK Work, Fairly Soon
ACME Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

hand planes can be a terrific tool or a pain. What makes a plane great is the ability to control the iron ( blade ) Learn how to set one up.
Personally I would say look at old Stanley planes .
I personally use these all stanley
small block plane
bullnose plane
#7 and#8 jointer
a 5 jack plane

it is a lot of fun to take an old plane and bring it back to life.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I agree with the sentiment that refinishing old planes make good sense. I have both old and new. Going inexpensive with new stuff is risky. The steel can be soft and adjustment parts crude. I just finished another rehab of a Bailey/Stanley No 5. It cuts a beautiful thin shaving. Auction cost $15 and some work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Good old used planes are likely to be your best option. You do need to shop around though and find somebody who is selling a plane at a reasonable price as a tool to be used rather than as a collector'$ item.
For new, the Rolls Royce of new planes is probably Lei-Nielsen. They are gorgeous, with price tags to match.

The ultimate answer s a thickness sander. Unfortunately, a thickness sander that can handle a 16" wide glued-up guitar top is a lot of money. I built a small thickness sander that can do up to about 8" wide. It's fine for fingerboards and head plates and sides, but that's about its limit. Even for sides, it can be a little dicey because it's hand-fed, and any significant variation in the feed rate can cause scalloping of the surface. I'm surprised by how much I use it though.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Nice job Danl8

Your plane appears to date from 1919. The blade logo and the 3 patents dates were 1910 to 1918, and the tall knob was 1919, meaning it was made right at the transition. Almost 100 years old. The wood is in very nice shape and you did a great job of cleaning it all up.

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Nice job Danl8

Your plane appears to date from 1919. The blade logo and the 3 patents dates were 1910 to 1918, and the tall knob was 1919, meaning it was made right at the transition. Almost 100 years old. The wood is in very nice shape and you did a great job of cleaning it all up.

Ed
Thanks, Ed
The side benefit of this site is getting spurred on to make use of high quality inexpensive tools. And then learning about them. The dates on this one are march and august 1902 and april 1910. It joins its bigger brother, a Bailey/Stanley No. 6 that I refinished last year, again, as a result of the threads here. The original poster can consider checking ebay or garage sales if he doesn't have access to antique shops or auctions.
-d.