What is involved in doing a cutaway?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
MaineGeezer

What is involved in doing a cutaway?

Post by MaineGeezer »

Somebody is actually willing to pay me to build them a guitar..and they want a cutaway. What is involved in doing a cutaway? John, do you have a video (I hope)?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: What is involved in doing a cutaway?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I've done one, before I had my fox style bending machine so I bent the cutaway on the pipe. That went okay
Next fitting it to the neck block, and getting the width just right so the fretboard extension would be flush with the side when done, this part was hairy for me! I spent alot of time checking, rechecking, and doing more checking, but in the end it came out just about right.
John J

Post by John J »

I've just started one. That tight bend is a little nerve wracking. I did one florentine cutaway and I agree with Kevin that getting the neck block right is a lot of very careful measuring and re-measuring. I'll be working on this neck block the next few days (I'll post).
Learning every day.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

You really need to think through the neck join. As a player I like a smooth transition from the neck to the cutaway. Some build in a bit of a shelf and use a traditional heel.

If you go with the smooth transition. Care needs to be take early on when making the heel block to properly establish the both the center line of the guitar and the cutaway edge as it needs to be exactly 1/2 the width of the fret board at the body neck join.