Fish Glue Questions

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
sammyjit

Fish Glue Questions

Post by sammyjit »

Just purchases some fish glue. I have used it before. On my last build I used it for the neck joint and the bridge only so I have little experience with it. I have decided to use it for my entire build this time. I have noticed with curation time that the residue after 16 hours seems to be occasionally tacky. I have had my braces sitting in the go-bar-deck for more than 16 hours now. The glue in the joints themselves seems to be cured. Some glue still feels tacky that was lingering around the joint. Is this normal? Should I be concerned about the joint integrity? Or is it bad glue?

Thanks,

Sam
johnnparchem

Re: Fish Glue Questions

Post by johnnparchem »

In a joint you have an ultra thin layer of glue reacting with the wood. A drip of glue ends up with a layer of cured glue protecting an interior of the drip.
tippie53

Re: Fish Glue Questions

Post by tippie53 »

do a test glue side glue 2 stick allow about 6 hr clamp time and see what happens , if it pulls wood fibers your good to go if not It may have gone bad or separated. Always stir the glue a bit or roll the bottle around to mix it up
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com