If I don't have a thickness sander...

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
rcnewcomb

If I don't have a thickness sander...

Post by rcnewcomb »

I have a top and back that are 0.14" and I need to sand them to thickness. The tools I have are:
A Harbor Freight sanding station
A 1/4 sheet finish sander
Several hand planes

What are my options for how to get the top and back pieces to a proper thickness?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
tippie53

Re: If I don't have a thickness sander...

Post by tippie53 »

find a cabinet shop in your area and pay to have them thickness sand it for you
If you do this by hand scrapers , and hand planes and sanding. You may be at this all day till you get it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Randy, sharpen up that hand plane and go at it. Take care with direction of the grain and you will be amazed at how fast you can take it down by .020 or .030".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You might consider this gadget:
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Ty ... laner.html though if you don't have a drill pres it won't help much.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
JLT

Post by JLT »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Randy, sharpen up that hand plane and go at it. Take care with direction of the grain and you will be amazed at how fast you can take it down by .020 or .030".
I second that. The Cumpiano book has an excellent write-up on how to use hand planes to thickness tops and backs.

Most even grained wood, like most rosewood, walnut, or such, can be hand planed. But if you have stuff like curly maple or less "organized" rosewood, you'd probably be better off taking John's advice and having a cabinet company do it. If it's rosewood, they'll probably ask you to pay for their sandpaper, too, as rosewood can be oily and make short work of their sandpaper.
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Solution: Find a friend who has just rebuilt her drum sander and wants to try it out. (Thanks Kathy!)
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop