How do I prevent maple binding from discoloring?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
rcnewcomb

How do I prevent maple binding from discoloring?

Post by rcnewcomb »

I'm currently building guitar with a redwood top and mahogany back and sides. I plan on using maple binding. What are steps that I can take to prevent the maple binding from being discolored by the redwood or mahogany while I am sanding and finishing? I'll be using a French Polish.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Diane Kauffmds

Re: How do I prevent maple binding from discoloring?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You shouldn't have a problem with the mahogany, but I'm not sure of the redwood. Once the binding is installed and scraped down, put a thin coat of shellac on it if you're going to sand the rest of the guitar. However, if you scrap the guitar, instead of sanding, you won't have a problem.

I got some mahogany dust in the engelmann spruce top that I'm working on now and naphtha cleaned it right up.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Thanks!
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

most will clean well . I use naphtha or everclear. Don't use water. The worse I had was sycamore and rosewood. I wiped it with acetone and it turned the sycamore purple and I couldn't get it out so I just stained it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've had a heck of a time with the black sanding dust from black-tinted epoxy getting into the spruce top on my 2nd guitar project. Eventually I put on a sealer coat of shellac, and that helped a lot. In addition, I used African blackwood for binding, and the dust from that posed a similar problem of making everything it got onto look dirty.

The maple shouldn't be too bad. It's a very close-grained wood, although sanding dust can get ground into almost anything. As stated, a sealer coat of shellac will help, and mahogany sawdust at least isn't "dirty" the way ebony and blackwood and some other sawdusts are.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion