How readily should hot hide glue let go with a steam needle?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
MaineGeezer

How readily should hot hide glue let go with a steam needle?

Post by MaineGeezer »

I just assembled a steam needle, and to test it out I tried removing the fingerboard from the old Regal mandolin neck. I'm carving a new neck and installing a new fingerboard, so this was strictly for personal education.

I steamed it to the point of the wood starting to fall apart, and I made only minor headway in getting the fingerboard loose. I have concluded that somebody at some point re-glued the fingerboard with something other than hhg. For one thing, it doesn't dissolve in the steam, and the remains of it are sort of rubbery. The glue I encountered when removing the back was definitely hhg, but not this stuff.

Anyway...if the fingerboard HAD been glued with HHG, how readily would it have let go when I steamed it?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Re: How readily should hot hide glue let go with a steam nee

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

My daughter runs her own shop in Brooklyn and she recently removed a neck for me. She said that some will come out without steam - just a good wiggling - and mine was on the difficult side at 20 minutes to get it out.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Re: How readily should hot hide glue let go with a steam nee

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I know a steam needle is needed to remove a neck, but an iron will remove a fretboard. I lay the iron directly on the fretboard and use 2 sharpened putty knives. As the glue softened, I made sure to keep a putty knife in place as a wedge, to keep the board from re-gluing itself. I use the iron dry, on the highest setting.

The steam needle works in the neck dovetail, because it's contained in a pocket, which holds the heat and moisture. With a fretboard, you have to lift the board as the glue softens; the steam is exposed to the ambient temp of the room, cools and condenses too quickly to water.

I've not encountered any glue, including Titebond that turns to a rubbery consistency. Perhaps someone used a cross-linked PVA glue, which requires dry heat since it's waterproof. A hairdryer set on high heat will soften it when you aim it directly on the dried PVA containing glue.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com