Bolt on neck depth

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
0018G

Bolt on neck depth

Post by 0018G »

After three years, I've finally got my 00 12 fret kit body built and bound. For the first time today, I slid the neck into the block and found that with no fingerboard, it sits proud of the top about 3/16". I measured, and the tenon is 2 3/4", and the block depth is 2 1/2". Taking into account the thickness of the top, and I'm sure it's bottoming in the block. A quick visual check confirms it.

If this were a dovetail, the tenon would be trimmed until it drops in. I don't exactly have that option, and if I did, I'm not sure the bolt will line up.

I couldn't have sanded the rims that far. The neck protrudes .187, and the body thickness at the neck block is a strong 3 1/8".
tippie53

Re: Bolt on neck depth

Post by tippie53 »

you can open the mortise deeper and slot the hole for the bolt.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
0018G

Post by 0018G »

That was the conclusion I came to, but a 2nd opinion never hurts-especially when a router is involved!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You must be careful. I would mount the body on a workmate or some kind of clamping device.
You can then clamp a pilot on the base of the router that just fits the mortise . That way you can use that as a guide.
If you have a plunge router , that is what I would use that way you can control things better. Take your time and be safe
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com