Another view of the bridge placement.

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
sammyjit

Another view of the bridge placement.

Post by sammyjit »

So, What is more important? Compensation location of the bridge or perpendicularity of the bridge to the fret board? The guitar is 25.4 scale. I set the High e-string to 25.5 and the low e-string to 25 5/8. But my perpendicularity is off my 2/32".

Some people say that getting the bridge exactly perpendicular to the fret board is more important. For a pre-routed bridge for saddle slot, I'm starting to think that I won't be able to satisfy both terms.
Danl8

Re: Another view of the bridge placement.

Post by Danl8 »

I believe that pre-routed bridges will accommodate the difference in compensation from the first to sixth string. The bridge should be at a right angle to the midline of the fretboard and the first string should be 2x the distance from nut to 12th fret + 0.1" compensation. View the videos by John; it will be harder to make a mistake that way.
tippie53

Re: Another view of the bridge placement.

Post by tippie53 »

There are a few variable that have to be maintained but if you read it on the net , sometimes that info can be a bit overwhelming.
Check out my video on gluing a bridge on you tube. Here is one issue that often pops up. Martin short and long scales are referred to as 24.9 and 25.4 that is a compensated length. Where you get the boards often are different that martin so jigs can be wrong I like to use a good accurate measuring scale of metal yardstick.
feel free to ask me any question you need I am here to help
john
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com