Question about spills on unfinished wood

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
nkwak

Question about spills on unfinished wood

Post by nkwak »

My son just dumped half a bottle of purified water on my unfinished Carpathian spruce top. It's not soaked or anything (and I made sure to wipe it off and dab it dry) and it has a wash coat of 1lb shellac but I was working on the rosette so the channels are unfinished. How long would it take to dry out so that I can resume work on it?
~ Neil
tippie53

Re: Question about spills on unfinished wood

Post by tippie53 »

not as long as you may think let it set over night. If you see it cupped you may have soaked in the end grain and it should settle out pretty quick. 24 hrs or so.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I am late to the party - have been out of town.

I recently applied a sunburst using dyes in water applied with a paper towel. There were about 5 coats of various colors, and I applied a coat, and dried it with a hair drier on a low setting. Doing this, I finished all coats in about an hour and had a dry guitar at the end.

Last week I dyed another guitar back and sides, and did the same thing - this time 3 coats - and it worked the same way.

Ed
Ed M
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I was touching up a rosette and spilled a bottle of brown stain concentrate on my top. I just put it away and did not even try to to sand it out. Water, no problem if it is wiped off.