How to print a template in the correct sizes?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
gnr993

How to print a template in the correct sizes?

Post by gnr993 »

Hello,

I've found a draw for a Fender strat and I want to print to and to make a template out of it..

But I didn't find anything about it.. All the tutorials I found about creating a template is only about creating it on the computer..

How do you print it at the exact same sizes as on the computer?

Thank you.
tippie53

Re: How to print a template in the correct sizes?

Post by tippie53 »

You can try going into print preview and scaling the drawing that way.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

That depends on a lot of things. The format of the file you're printing. The program you are using to print it. The particular printer you are using and its printer driver.

Assuming the drawing is scaled 1:1, i.e. it's a full-size drawing, then if you configure your printer driver to do no scaling and print the drawing, it should come out to-size.

If the drawing is not 1:1, then you will either need to experiment with scaling the printout with an option in the printer driver, assuming there is one, or scale the drawing using some kind of graphics editor, like Photoshop.

If the drawing is bigger than your available paper size, you'll need to break up the drawing into page-size pieces and then splice it together. That task may be simplified if your printer driver has a "Poster" option or some such that will break up a large image automatically.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

A lot of the published templates are 1 to 1 and are delivered as a pdf. Take the file to kinkos (fedex now I think) or some other local copy place and they can print out full size drawings.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

My local Staples can do that -- good thought. I don't recall exactly what their maximum size is, but it's something like 36" wide and as long as the roll of paper. It's more than big enough.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion