A few questions about electric guitar building

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
gnr993

A few questions about electric guitar building

Post by gnr993 »

Hi everyone I'm new here.
I started to be interested in guitar building and I need some guidelines to get started
I watched a lot of Youtube videos and now I started to read a book I bought from Amazon
But there's a few things I'm still not sure about:
1. How can I get the sample for the guitar body (I want to start with electic guitar)
I'm sure there is such a thing.. but I don't know how it's called and how to find it
2. I want to build a drafting of the guitar with the sizes and everything,
And I would like to see some examples to what is need to be considered

Thank you very much!
MaineGeezer

Re: A few questions about electric guitar building

Post by MaineGeezer »

Welcome!

I don't quite understand what you are looking for. Try explaining in more detail.

For #2, are you looking for drawings or plans, or want to make drawings? There are several free drafting programs available online. Google Sketchup is fairly intuitive. I use ProgeCad 2009 Smart!, which is very similar to 2D AutoCAD. A new free 3D modeling program is called Onshape. ProgeCAD and Onshape have fairly steep learning curves.

There are others as well.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Re: A few questions about electric guitar building

Post by MaineGeezer »

Robert O'Brian has a DVD that explains in great detail how to build an electric guitar. See http://www.obrienguitars.com/courses/electric/
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion