Wood grain cracks on finger board

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
sammyjit

Wood grain cracks on finger board

Post by sammyjit »

I have just noticed a small crack in the finger board. I'm a little concerned about using it. The neck has some small cracks and gouges where the two meet. I think the neck is salvageable. It won't look pretty but I'm not trying to build a pretty guitar. I have some pictures attached. Some good some not so good. Should I just buy another fingerboard? (These were all "as is" parts when I bought them) Rejected parts from Martin I believe.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2u3oa581380 ... CjP2a?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2u3oa581380 ... CjP2a?dl=0
Danl8

Re: Wood grain cracks on finger board

Post by Danl8 »

I can't access your pictures, but I have used several rejected boards this past year and haven't run into problems so far. I use ebony wood or ebony dust and/or lampblack to color the glue/epoxy which generally repairs the defects. That said, I wouldn't use a fingerboard with serious checking.
Last edited by Danl8 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammyjit

Post by sammyjit »

Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

sammyjit wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/sc/dki432lhbd3a ... CZJOeHcWpa

Maybe this will work.
Pictures worked. From what I can see, the split runs on the treble side and unless it can be really well closed, it's a problem for potentially skewering the players hand. If it were mine I would run amber cyano in the crack and close it with a wrapping of a long chain of rubber bands. If it closed up completely, then I would use it.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

StewMac's #10 CA glue wicks into cracks very well.

Building on the rubber band idea, I use a 10' piece of 1/4" diameter latex tubing, which stretches like crazy and can be wrapped around just about anything. The only downside I've found is that hot hide glue seems to dissolve it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

MaineGeezer wrote:........ The only downside I've found is that hot hide glue seems to dissolve it.
How true and if hide glue doesn't dissolve rubber, it surely glues it tightly and making for a clean-up challenge. I like to use polyvinyl chloride film or waxed paper prevent those issues. For the OP, the rubber-band method can exert enough pressure to dent wood, so be cautious.