000/0M What to use for side braces?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
sammyjit

000/0M What to use for side braces?

Post by sammyjit »

Well this is my first guitar build. So far I have braced the top, got the sides and blocks in with the kerfs. I have beveled the back to 15 and the top to 28. I have sanded in the 1 degree neck angle for the neck block. I have the top almost finished for notching the brace grooves. I am wondering about side bracing. What should I use? I don't have any spruce strips hanging around. I have heard about Popsicle sticks being used. I'm not sure if I am comfortable using those. Are the braces necessary? And are Popsicle sticks too rudimentary for this purpose?
Thanks,
Sam
hanksnowy

Re: 000/0M What to use for side braces?

Post by hanksnowy »

Those braces are mainly to prevent and stop the spread of longitudinal cracks in the sides, so lightweight is the way to go. Have a look into the pieces of cloth that are used by some. Or if you have any bracing material left you can use that. Once installed and the glue is cured you'll probably want to thin any wood that you used, down quite a bit. Popsicle sticks or tongue depressors could be an option, but not a first option. You say this is your first build so I suggest you research where those braces should and should not be placed.
Snowy has no location, job, interests, or money,
but is willing to help whenever he can.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I rebuilt a 1933 Gibson L-00 that had been smashed. One side of the large bout had a big hole in it - a golf ball would fit through it - and there was a crack going towards the waist. The cracked stopped at the next side brace - which was a loose weave cloth, much like cheesecloth with a little tighter weave. I have been using bias tape in cotton that I get from a fabric store - it comes in all sorts of colors. Be sure to get the narrow stuff, not folded over to appear narrow.

Very easy to wet with Titebond or other glue with a brush, and stretch a bit, clamp with clothespins, and then press down by running your ginger along it. Be sure to take off the clothes pins before they gets glued on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 776959267/

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:I rebuilt a 1933 Gibson L-00 that had been smashed. One side of the large bout had a big hole in it - a golf ball would fit through it - and there was a crack going towards the waist. The cracked stopped at the next side brace - which was a loose weave cloth, much like cheesecloth with a little tighter weave. I have been using bias tape in cotton that I get from a fabric store - it comes in all sorts of colors. Be sure to get the narrow stuff, not folded over to appear narrow.

Very easy to wet with Titebond or other glue with a brush, and stretch a bit, clamp with clothespins, and then press down by running your ginger along it. Be sure to take off the clothes pins before they gets glued on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 776959267/

Ed
Hey Ed, in your photos it looks like you used side struts in a dark wood on the sides. This is actually sewing bias tape? (For non-sewers, bias tape is bought in fabric stores; just ask a clerk).
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Carter Ruff, the luthier I'm working with, saturates light canvas (maybe denim) in hot hide glue and lets it dry. When he wants to reinforce a patch, he cuts off a piece, softens it in hot water, brushes on more hot hide glue,and puts the piece on the place he's reinforcing. (Carter is a great believer in hot hide glue.)

For side braces though, he uses wood strips.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Diane

Yes that is bias tape, not wood. Although in my current guitar, a large oak body that is a fat 4-7/8" deep at the heel, the sides flex in a little under fthumb pressure at the upper bout at it goes flat approaching the waist. I asked about this on another forum and was told it is common on deeper guitars and that using wood side braces at that location would help. One builder said he doubles the side with a piece glued on inside in that area.

Ed
Ed M
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I use the side cut-offs and rip them into half inch strips, then individually cut each to size. I use six on each side and position 4 lined up over the back braces (cosmetic only).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Ben-Had wrote:I use the side cut-offs and rip them into half inch strips, then individually cut each to size. I use six on each side and position 4 lined up over the back braces (cosmetic only).
I use 1/2" strips of cut-offs too.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com