guitar dismantling process

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
leon2982

guitar dismantling process

Post by leon2982 »

getting ready to take apart a beat-up yamaha 6-string just for the experience and knowledge i might gain. still thinking about which steps in what order. i would prefer to be able to rebuild it but it's so beat-up might not be worth the time.
Ben-Had

Re: guitar dismantling process

Post by Ben-Had »

Yamaha's have some tough glue. Normally first step is to remove the neck but that can be tricky with Yamaha. Surviving that you need to determine what you'll be doing. Tops and backs can be removed and the binding saved or not. Different techniques.
Tim Benware
leon2982

Post by leon2982 »

I picked-up a cheap Sunlite instead of the Yamaha. Planning on removing neck next week.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

what you don't know is what joint that was used . This can be tricky. If the neck doesn't come off will steam after say 10 minutes you can have a doweled neck. These are often difficult to ID until your into the work. If this doesn't come free I found cutting the fretboard off at about the 10th fret and removing that will allow you access from the top to inject steam onto the dowel.
Patience is your friend. Take your time. Once off you can reattach the fretboard when you get ready to to finish assembly so that you get it all lined up properly.

take plenty of pics and post your progress on line. Even if you mess up , this is a learning experience so have fun with it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com