Kits, parts and prices

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
pokeyasd

Kits, parts and prices

Post by pokeyasd »

Hello everyone,

I'm keen on building my first DIY guitar, but at the moment I'm a bit confused with the prices I'm seeing on several stores. Most stores offer complete electric guitar kits which have a price tag around $150, but the very same stores also offer bodies and necks sold separately and the combined price of a separate body and neck is usually double of a kit price. Where does this extra price bump come from? Is the wood just more aesthetic or are there factors which affect overall build quality? Naturally I would like a decent guitar so I'm guessing these complete kits are a no-go? Naturally also I'd like to save money, so if there are any areas where higher prices come purely because of aesthetic reasons, I'd like to know. Basically if anyone can elaborate what I get with certain price areas, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
tippie53

Re: Kits, parts and prices

Post by tippie53 »

Yes kits can vary greatly in price. The price differences have to do with the quality of the kits. I have made a few kits from Saga , the kits made a decent guitar but I soon opted out for better pick ups.
Still they are not that bad. I would recommend saga kits for a starter. They come with a sealer coat so that helps to make the finishing easier. You won't have the learning curve on the filling process. I still play my Les Pauls I made. I did put 57 and 59 pick ups in them.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
hanksnowy

Re: Kits, parts and prices

Post by hanksnowy »

if you go to http://www.grizzly.com website they have kits that are considered to be very good.
Snowy has no location, job, interests, or money,
but is willing to help whenever he can.