A Question about Tonewood

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Diane Kauffmds

A Question about Tonewood

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi,

I'm leaning toward a 000/OM steel string acoustic, and I'm thinking about walnut sides and back. What are the tonal qualities of walnut and specifically, how would it affect the tone of a smaller 000 guitar vs. a dreadnaught?

I like the deep, rich tone of a dread, but I'm leaning toward the smaller size of OM for physical easy of playing and traveling. I love the look of walnut, especially burled, but I want a deep tone, without too much brightness.

Will walnut fit the bill?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: A Question about Tonewood

Post by tippie53 »

Walnut is a nice wood tone . What top wood ? Carpathian is a good match for walnut
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Just worked on a Walnut guitar with a Euro top, very nice sound, well balanced and even tone.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I did an OM (about the same as the OOO) with walnut and redwood top. The buyer loved it! I would not say it had a deep tone as in a lot of bass, but it was resonant, responsive, and sweet.

Kevin
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote:Walnut is a nice wood tone . What top wood ? Carpathian is a good match for walnut
I haven't chosen a top wood yet and I definitely need suggestions. I thought about cedar for it's warmth, because I figured the walnut would be a bit bright. I'll check out the Carpathian spruce.

BTW, by "walnut", specifically I mean Peruvian Walnut. I found a back and sides that I've fallen in love with.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

Can't speak for guitars, but I built an octave mandolin with a spruce top and walnut back and sides, and was very happy with it.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Diane,

I like a 12 fret to the body 00 or 000 guitar for a finger style guitar. I think the 12 fret to the body adds a bit of the bass sound back (may be not as loud as a dred). I also think the smaller guitars have a more even sound across the strings. I always feel the dred sound punches the base and the trebles really well. Perfect for flat picking bluegrass.

I am not sure I have gotten to the point where the wood I use for the back and sides changes the sound all that much. At least relative to my ability to tune the top. The Peruvian Walnut will make a good looking guitar.