Fret Question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Dan Morris

Fret Question

Post by Dan Morris »

Can the frets be added to the fret board before it is glued to the neck or should it be done after the fret board is glued to the neck? (The neck has binding, if that makes any difference.) I was going to insert the frets before gluing the fret board the neck and I've seen advice on both methods, so I believe either would work, but I'd like to do it with the fewest potential complications.
David L

Re: Fret Question

Post by David L »

I always fretted my FB prior to mounting the FB to the neck, but I'm no expert and others do it the other way. Wait and get some advice from some of these folks who really know what they're doing. You may find that you want to try it both ways and see which one you like best.

David L
tippie53

Re: Fret Question

Post by tippie53 »

the best guitars that I made were fretted after the neck was set and the fretboard trued to the guitar. If you fret the board first you can only then work the frets. If you can't get the fretboard trued you have to remove more of the fret.
The lowest action I have made had a 1 1/2 2 action without buzzing. This also reduces the fretwork time.
I also glue the fretboard on the neck against a granite surface plate so the neck is a dead flat as possible.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com